Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

gearing second thoughts anyone?

Old 10-21-2008, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Altered Ego
Manual checking gives me around 15-16. I use to get 21-22 with the stock 255's. Will I get back to that when I regear?
I can not answer that because I have not yet re-geared. But I am looking forward to do it one day!
Old 10-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Altered Ego
Manual checking gives me around 15-16. I use to get 21-22 with the stock 255's. Will I get back to that when I regear?
Probably not, because with a lift and bigger tires you have a larger profile and worse aerodynamics -- and ours wasn't good to start. It should increase a little though if you're getting it back in a good power band.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

4:88s are the way to go
Old 10-21-2008, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Let me get this right.

I have an X Unlimited with 4:10's auto and 35's. If I go with a hypertech it should give me better mileage as my computer is currently programed incorrectly. I understand that it won't get me back to stock due to tires and profile, but the new computer readings will reflect an increase in mpg due to the new calibrations?

...and will mpg readings be better with (or reduced) when I regear to 5:13's?

...sorry for the dumb question, but I find a lot of people going both ways...!!??

Let me know!
Old 10-21-2008, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

the programer put the tranny back in check with shift points so you are not winding up to much with it think you should be in a lower gear to move by getting it back it will not waste as much fuel

you find a increase in in your current mpg if you do alot of stop and go your highway should see a little help sice you will get overdrive back

Quick Reply: gearing second thoughts anyone?