Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gearing recommendations

Old 01-21-2011, 03:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gearing recommendations

Hello, I'm looking for some advice on what gear ratio I should go with. I just purchased an 08 Wrangler X... It did come with some type of 2" lift and 35" tires... I love the Jeep but being a complete noob I didn't know what to really look for in a Jeep. It has the manual 6sd transmission with 3.21 gears... that's what the guy tells me anyways (haven't actually verified myself yet) but I was curious what you guys think a good ratio would be to go with to get some pep into this thing (mainly don't want to have to change gears for every little hill around the house).

thanks,
-Gary
Old 01-21-2011, 04:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Here is the chart.
Attachment 119871
perfect thanks
Old 01-21-2011, 05:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not go by the tire size on the sidewall. Measure your tires from the ground to the hub centerline then multiply x2. This will give you the true measurement of your tires, then look at the chart. Also if you are running a heavy wheel and tire combo you will want to take that into consideration.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ffjeeper
Do not go by the tire size on the sidewall. Measure your tires from the ground to the hub centerline then multiply x2. This will give you the true measurement of your tires, then look at the chart. Also if you are running a heavy wheel and tire combo you will want to take that into consideration.
I was looking at ring and pinion gears on I'm more confused than ever (surprise, surprise)... I was looking at 4.88 gears but some sites say only for 3.73 housings... does this mean I need to look for a new axle assembly?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Fjeeper makes a very good statement and it is advice, it really will give you a base to start with and what load your engine will actually see. You can go from there.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hifirush
Fjeeper makes a very good statement and it is advice, it really will give you a base to start with and what load your engine will actually see. You can go from there.
I'll measure when I get home... rode with the wife to work this morning to save on gas
Old 01-21-2011, 06:12 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I believe you need a different carrier not housing. Check the fact links at the top of the forum pages for all you need to know about gearing.
Yes, a different carrier. David @ Northridge stocks the needed carriers, as well as everything else.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Before you order a carrier, make sure you check what gears you have. I just upgraded to 4.88's and found that my 6 speed sahara had 4.10's! I didn't expect that, but the 4.88's are perfect for my 35" mtr's.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:06 AM
JK Super Freak

check out this link....even though you are not doing the install yourself, it will help answer some questions for you and help with all the terms...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...?82262-Gearing
Old 01-21-2011, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Infinity
Before you order a carrier, make sure you check what gears you have. I just upgraded to 4.88's and found that my 6 speed sahara had 4.10's! I didn't expect that, but the 4.88's are perfect for my 35" mtr's.
I'm fairly certain that it's 3.21 gears ... going to send David a PM at Northridge to see how much it's going to set me back... wasn't expecting all this when I bought the Jeep, don't regret it just should have done more homework and found one better suited to what I was looking for... this thing was a mall crawler before I picked it up... there isn't a speck of mud anywhere on it except for what I put on it... I had F150 4wd before and thought a Jeep would be similar... whole different ball of wax when you don't have a 351 cubic inch engine to turn your tires... oh well live and learn still love my Jeep even though it can't get out of it's own way right now

Quick Reply: Gearing recommendations