Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gearing Question For Automatic

Old 04-10-2008, 11:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's been a lot input based on personal knowledge, but I notice it's all from people with 5.13's. Does anyone with 4.88's have any input? Have any of you who posted regarding 5.13's run 4.88's in the past?

My local shop has told me that 4.88's would be better, so the question has been in my mind as well. That said, I'm not that anxious to re-gear. I haven't had any issues with the stock gears in my Rubi (yet), and I've done some moderately long highway drives, including drives through mountain passes, and it holds speed just fine.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:27 PM
JK Newbie

DROPKICK,

Thanks for your input... you make a great point. I will be waiting to regear after the lift andtires are already on... then I will make the decision. But I'm sure I will be going with one of the 2 choices... i have 3.73's now.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:35 PM
JK Newbie

This is a great timely discussion for me, as I too am researching new gears and have gotten the hint that 5.13's are the way to go.

My current setup is an auto tranny and 3.73's.

Since I don't know anyone with the auto/5.13 setup to drive, can you guys describe the differences I will experience in these situations:

1) Dead stop, full acceleration
2) 35-55 mph lane changes and highway merges
3) 55-75 mph cruising
4) deep snow & mudd
5) on road & off road inclines
6) ????

Also,

What am I going to hate?

Any other situational experience will be helpful.

thanks
Old 04-12-2008, 08:59 PM
JK Freak

I know this post was abouit an auto, but would your answer be different with a manual? If so, why?

Quick Reply: Gearing Question For Automatic