Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

gear swap cost

Old 07-27-2009, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gear swap cost

how much should a gear swap cost?
i was quoted $1158cnd for parts which doesn't seem bad and another $850cnd cash for labour.
i think that seems a bit steep don't you. how hard is a gear swap? i'm pretty handy but no pro and never done a swap before
Old 07-27-2009, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

You could do better if you purchased the R&Ps on your own, but the labor sounds right assuming it's both front and rear.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

1500 US installed is as much as I would pay.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure about the cost....I have never done a gear swap on a jeep before....But all those numbers sound crazy to me..I've been building Fox Body Mustang's since they were cool, and it cost me $175 for the gears and I have a friend that did it better than any shop and it only cost a 30pk of beer (he is also a mechanic working on Mac Trucks doing gear swaps, rebuilding trannys and anything else you could think of) but even if I paid someone to do it on a mustang (granted only one set of gears) was $379 parts and labor.

I guess 4x4 stuff is just more money that speed stuff...as for doing it your self...unless you really are patient and do a ton of reading and learning before hand, I wouldnt do it. its not easy to line em up right, and if your off just a little bit they will hum like crazy.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:56 PM
JK Freak

A gear swap will require particular tools and knowledge of setting up those gears. IMO, not a do-it-yourself/shadetree mechanic type project.

I've been quoted as low as $1000 parts & labor for a slightly used 4.10 gearset, front carrier and labor.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Northridge has gear sets for $399 US for the gears with an install kit or $549 for the gears with an overhaul kit.

I've been quoted from $600 - $800 for the labor from a couple different local off-road shops.

Quick Reply: gear swap cost