Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gear Ratios? What does it all mean?

Old 07-10-2009, 11:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Gear Ratios? What does it all mean?

Ok, so I really dont understand how all gear ratios work or what the difference between a 5.13 and 3.73 gear ratio. I know there different sizes, but what does each offer. Currently I have a 09 Rubi with 4.10 gears and will slappin on some 35s within the next couple months. I'm debating if I should get new gears or not. I know that my options inculde a 4.88, 5.13, and 5.38. What does each offer. Like how does each work driving around town, or on the Highway, and most importantly how will it handle offroad, ie. steep hills mud holes, and climbing rocks? Yes yes I know I should have spent days trying to search threw all the other posts but its a slow ass connection over here in iraq and it literally takes me 15 mins sometims to load 1 page. So dont flame me.

ShmoesJK
Old 07-11-2009, 11:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search on the internet for "Gear Ratio Chart". Most of the sites will also include formulas and other information about the advantages and disadvantages of going with different ratios.

I don't know if you have an auto transmission, but if you do I'd highly recommend 5.13 gears to run with 35s. Some are running 5.38, but my concern is the D44 pinion gear is already getting pretty small with 5.13. I think there are a few that went that small, but for me the 5.13 is perfect.

Highway driving will suffer a little if you like to cruise at 75 MPH. Your RPMs will be out of the "good gas mileage" territory. However, the gears are a torque multiplier so hills, mud holes, rock crawling, and general off road is MUCH nicer.

If you have a manual, you probably won't need to change out the gears.

2 cents.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shmoesjk
Ok, so I really dont understand how all gear ratios work or what the difference between a 5.13 and 3.73 gear ratio. I know there different sizes, but what does each offer. Currently I have a 09 Rubi with 4.10 gears and will slappin on some 35s within the next couple months. I'm debating if I should get new gears or not. I know that my options inculde a 4.88, 5.13, and 5.38. What does each offer. Like how does each work driving around town, or on the Highway, and most importantly how will it handle offroad, ie. steep hills mud holes, and climbing rocks? Yes yes I know I should have spent days trying to search threw all the other posts but its a slow ass connection over here in iraq and it literally takes me 15 mins sometims to load 1 page. So dont flame me.

ShmoesJK
Here is the thread you need...... https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/gearing-82262/

Keep your head down and stay safe. Thank you for your service to us all!
Old 07-11-2009, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you have the 6 speed tranny you wont need new gears. i am running 35's and 4.10 gears now and feel that it drives beutifully. i cruise at 65 MPH @ 2200 RPM's

2007 JK Unlimited 6 Speed 4.10 Gears
3 Inch BDS Lift
35x12.5x16 Yokohama Geolander AT/S
16x8 Cragar Soft 8 Black Steel Wheels
Custom front Winch Bumper from RoundStar OffRoad
Mopar Offroad Rear Bumper
Oilpan/Tranny skid Plate by Skid Row
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Skyjacker Brake line extenders
Skyjacker Adj Rear track bar
High Clearance Adj Front Lower Control Arms by RocKrawler
RocKrawler Front Lower Control Arm Mounting Bracket/Skid Plates
Warrior Products Rear Safari Doors
Plenty of ROCKRASH
Old 07-12-2009, 05:36 AM
JK Newbie

I have an automatic. What were you getting with the 4.10 and 35s chip80. I do alot of highway driving 65-75 miles and hour. So would 4.10 gears be the best for me so i dont devour gas so bad?

Quick Reply: Gear Ratios? What does it all mean?