Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gear Ratio for the 2012 JK 3.6L

Old 10-26-2011, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Ratio for the 2012 JK 3.6L

I was looking around the site and hoping to find a chart that would give me the gears i should be running with specific sized tired i dont know if they would be different from the 3.8L, but if there is a chart around could someone let me know lol. Thanks
Old 10-27-2011, 07:28 PM
JK Newbie

Bumpage...
Old 10-27-2011, 07:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know what the recommended gearing would be, don't have the experience on it... but I can tell you don't go by the old 3.8 chart as a rule if you have the automatic transmission. The new 5 speed trans is geared very differently from the older 4 speed auto... from what I understand if you use the old chart your gearing will probably be to low.

If your a manual transmission, I don't believe any changes happened to the gearing... so you should be safe to use the old chart.

My understanding is that the new automatic transmission is geared closer (especially on the top end) to the manual transmission. So if you did want to use the old 3.8 chart it would probably be better to lean toward the manual trans numbers... even if you have the automatic.

Allpar has a good breakdown that includes the gearing numbers for the transmissions http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/wran...fications.html you can see the gearing did change considerably on the new trans... in my opinion that was a more important change to the wrangler than the Pentastar if you prefer the auto that is.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:38 PM
JK Newbie

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

I never checked to see if they added the new tranny but you can throw the ratios in if not.

I love this calc.

Quick Reply: Gear Ratio for the 2012 JK 3.6L