Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gear Question

Old 09-07-2010, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Question

I'm moving up (or down?) to 5.13s and I'm in the process of pricing gears/installation kits. I know someone who has done this before and we're going to change them in the driveway sometime soon. It will probably cost me a 12 pack and a sub.

Anyway, what else do I need other than the gears and installation kits? My X has about 15,000 miles on it...do I need to get new bearings or can I just go with the current ones? Any suggestions or advice on this before I order them? Thanks!
Old 09-08-2010, 08:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
i did the deal through bustabizz on here from 4wd. it was 550 shipped to my door for 5.13's, full install kits (all the bearings, shims, etc), and G2 diff covers front and rear.

That being said. i didn't replace the carrier bearings on mine when i did the gears. but with the free shipping and diff covers, it made sense to do that deal. plus i like having the bearings there in case i need them. i've been suprised when opening up diffs before on wear or problem areas that you don't expect. and good luck getting the right bearings from the local parts store. all their part numbers seem to be f'd... same with the pinion seals. unless you have the timken # off the bearing it seems to be a royal pain.

northridge has a deal with just shims and pinion bearings that i like. i think it's 500 shipped? i can't remember, someone else will chime in.

I know other people have just bought the shims and reused pinion bearings.... personally i wouldn't do that... but it's up to you.
Chickened out and went with 4.88s. I know, I know...5.13s are the way to go with 35s and an automatic. I do a lot of highway driving and figured 4.88s are low enough that with my Superchips I would have good power and the gears are not too low that my MPG would suffer all that much. Also, isn't that set up a significant improvement over a stock Rubicon with 4.10s?
Old 09-08-2010, 08:28 AM
JK Super Freak

From having put 45,000 miles on my 2009 JK unlimited Rubicon, I've found the gearing should have been 4.56 from the factory with 32" tires (if you had the automatic). It drops out of OD too easy on slight hills.

I'm a fan of replacing the bearings while you are in there. Overall, they are not that expensive and opening up a diff once (whether yourself or paying someone) is always easier to do once.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CerOf
From having put 45,000 miles on my 2009 JK unlimited Rubicon, I've found the gearing should have been 4.56 from the factory with 32" tires (if you had the automatic). It drops out of OD too easy on slight hills.

I'm a fan of replacing the bearings while you are in there. Overall, they are not that expensive and opening up a diff once (whether yourself or paying someone) is always easier to do once.

Okay, I'm changing my order to 5.13s. I guess I was looking for someone to tell me 4.88s were good enough, but that's clearly not going to happen.

Yes, we will be doing the bearings as well.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
My wife drives 80 mph to work ebery morning and 5.13s with the auto and 35s is just barely enough. You made the right choice.

Who did you order through? Did you call 4wd? Are they still doing free diff covers?
Yes, Bryan at 4WD gave me the deal. A few parts are on back order, but I can wait. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-30-2010, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Default trail bearing removal

$40 dollar solution to safely remove bearings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up5vZ...er_profilepage

Quick Reply: Gear Question