Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

gear overhaul kits

Old 01-20-2012, 05:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gear overhaul kits

I really need help understanding what I need. I going to be regearing and I gave seen 4 different gear overhaul kits from just 4wd.com. Everyone has several versions of them. I only have about 13,500 miles on my jk. Please tell what EXACTLY do I need?
Old 01-20-2012, 06:26 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Talk to your installer to see what he recommends. After all, they are the ones honoring the warranty. My opinion is that, regardless of it being low miles, new bearings are a good thing and you should go for the full overhaul (master install) kits.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Talk to your installer to see what he recommends. After all, they are the ones honoring the warranty. My opinion is that, regardless of it being low miles, new bearings are a good thing and you should go for the full overhaul (master install) kits.
I wish it was that easy. My uncle is going to do it for me. If it was up to him, he would use all my old parts because it's whats the cheapest. He could do it and it would be fine but, I want to have the extra sense of knowing I did it right.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think you have to look at what you want to spend. With that low miles and if you are not changeing differintals I would say to get a pinion install kit at min. This would get the job done. It will have new pinion bearings since you will have to press your old ones off to reuse it. This would risk damaging them. However your carrier bearing can stay in place since the shims are on the outside the bearings.

If you are changing the differential then get a master kit and be done.

I'm getting ready to get my stuff and I will get full master kits. This way when I do my install I know I have everything. I have 14k on mine.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DownhomeMoto
I think you have to look at what you want to spend. With that low miles and if you are not changeing differintals I would say to get a pinion install kit at min. This would get the job done. It will have new pinion bearings since you will have to press your old ones off to reuse it. This would risk damaging them. However your carrier bearing can stay in place since the shims are on the outside the bearings.

If you are changing the differential then get a master kit and be done.

I'm getting ready to get my stuff and I will get full master kits. This way when I do my install I know I have everything. I have 14k on mine.
I was thinking a master kit but I saw 3 different master kits. I'm totally confused at this point.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out this link and study up.

Then call David @ Northridge for a complete overhaul kit. That will have everything you will need except maybe new axle seals. You might as well put new ones in why its all apart.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...?82262-Gearing
Old 01-21-2012, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I actually was told by my installer that I wont need the overhaul kits I bought from Northridge because I am only at 6K miles. I can use them or I can also sell them. I am in the process of deciding what I am going to do but if I do decide to sell them I can let you know. I have a non rubi.

Let me know what you decide. I have to decide if the money will serve me better towards a different mod or if it just makes sense to replace it all.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Stillmotion
I actually was told by my installer that I wont need the overhaul kits I bought from Northridge because I am only at 6K miles. I can use them or I can also sell them. I am in the process of deciding what I am going to do but if I do decide to sell them I can let you know. I have a non rubi.

Let me know what you decide. I have to decide if the money will serve me better towards a different mod or if it just makes sense to replace it all.
What was the part numbers on the overhaul kits and what were you looking to get for them?
Old 01-23-2012, 12:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I will take a look when I get home today and Ill get back to you. I'm still up in the air about if I'm going to keep them or not.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Stillmotion
I will take a look when I get home today and Ill get back to you. I'm still up in the air about if I'm going to keep them or not.
Sounds good, the more research I do the more I'm being told not to regear.

Quick Reply: gear overhaul kits