Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

gear now or later?

Old 01-10-2011, 11:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i was getting ready to purchase them and with my future build plans of moving up to 35's david at northridge suggested i go with the 4.88's now and be done with it. So i went with them and will deal with them.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:00 AM
Red
JK Enthusiast

The whole 4.88 with 33s issue aside, I would wait until you get back from the trip. The idea of swapping gears (or anything major) before a long trip is unsettling. After I swapped my gears out, I wasn't planning on really going anywhere, but then ended up driving about 3 hours a day on the Autobahn for the following week because of work. Those trips were not pleasant because I had this constant question as to whether I installed everything right and if not, I am a long way from home. Also wasn't the best break in drive for the gears.

I'm not sure if I understood this correctly, but you are thinking about doing the swap while there because install rates may be less. If you are taking it somewhere, take it somewhere close to home - towing it cross country if something goes wrong to get back to the shop that serviced it in the first place does not sound like a great idea.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:05 AM
JK Newbie

well ill be in tx for 8 months or so, so i'll have plenty of time to find out of the job was done correctly. i want to wait until i get down there to regear but i dont know if having 3.21's is going to be a huge headache at highway speeds. i went along with the advise to take the 4.88's over the 4.56 which was my original conclusion from reading for days on the forum. has anyone here ran this setup? 6spd 33's and 4.88. i may jusg hold onto it all until im ready for 35's.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:25 AM
JK Junkie

I ran 5.13's with (measured, actual, street pressure) 31.5" tires and now with 34" tires. I had no problems. I wouldn't run 80 MPH with them but I didn't run 80 MPH with my Jeep when it was stock. Our little V6 doesn't mind revs. And if you're wondering, I did not/do not check mileage and wouldn't change a thing.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:09 AM
JK Newbie

tslewisz, that with an automatic or manual? i've read a few posts through the forums with guys who had ran it with the manual and sat at around 2900 rpms at 70 mph and that doesn't sound too over the top for me. i've prettym uch decided that im not going to do the gears before i leave, but now it's if i should wait until the 35's to install it. i wish i could drive it with the 3.21's in it now to see how it feels but i won't even be able to see my jeep again until may and want to have it ready to go when i do get back to jersey.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:16 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by iggy__
tslewisz, that with an automatic or manual? i've read a few posts through the forums with guys who had ran it with the manual and sat at around 2900 rpms at 70 mph and that doesn't sound too over the top for me. i've prettym uch decided that im not going to do the gears before i leave, but now it's if i should wait until the 35's to install it. i wish i could drive it with the 3.21's in it now to see how it feels but i won't even be able to see my jeep again until may and want to have it ready to go when i do get back to jersey.
I have a manual. I'm just under 3000 RPM at 70 MPH. The chart in the FAQ's pretty much nails the RPMs and according to that 33's and 4.88's would be about the same as me, so, 33's or 35's and 4.88's will be fine, IMO.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:46 AM
JK Newbie

thanks a lot for the feedback. i've only had the jeep for 500 miles and it's a lot different then my ws6.

Quick Reply: gear now or later?