Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gear issue

Old 11-17-2013, 04:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear issue

Did a gear swap to 4.56s ourselves. Today I found two bolts on cover were loose and I was losing a little fluid. Plenty still in there but sine you can't measure....did full change. Had some small metal shavings but nothing excessive. (Prior fluid change was good.) Noticed odd mark on ring gear. Diagonal slash on middle center. Backlash seems almost nil-was within spec. on install. Not sure if this is because of weight of tires. Gonna have to take everything off another night to get actual pattern. Anyone seen this mark/ know why it's there? Can't even feel it with a finger.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	511817Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	511818
Old 11-18-2013, 12:22 AM
JK Newbie

It seems you may have it set up a little to tight, I always go rule of thumb of 8 to 10ths for backlash. Not sure what was suggested by your gear manufacture but 8 to 10ths is always a safe number, I'm running 9ths on mine and have no abnormal wear. What will happen if you don't loosen up is possible ring or pinion tooth failure v
Old 11-18-2013, 03:37 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by somguyss
It seems you may have it set up a little to tight, I always go rule of thumb of 8 to 10ths for backlash. Not sure what was suggested by your gear manufacture but 8 to 10ths is always a safe number, I'm running 9ths on mine and have no abnormal wear. What will happen if you don't loosen up is possible ring or pinion tooth failure v
The backlash for the JK axles is 0.005" to 0.008".
Old 11-18-2013, 08:53 AM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slash mark.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	511880We measured backlash at .007 on install. But it doesn't seem to have that much now (using the wiggle method). I saw some thread somewhere (LOL) a mention about back spacing being affected by torque. Is it possible for backlash to change once everything is tightened back down? Better pic...

Last edited by jeepherz; 11-18-2013 at 09:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Gear issue