Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gear Help

Old 12-25-2012, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Help

So... I'm about to add 35's to my '09 JKU Sahara auto w/ 3.73's, and from what I've read here, I will probably want to regear. My plan initially is to try it without, but I'm guessing it will be sluggish with 3.73 and auto. I should note that its my DD, and sees very little mud (occasional dirt roads hunting) and absolutely no rocks (its NW Florida). I may go to 37's or bigger eventually (may be quite a while), so I'm thinkin' 5.13's. I have no plans to do the regear myself. Should I find a shop and let them get the gears or should I buy gears and have them installed? If I buy, what else will I need to buy for regearing besides gears? Its only got 38k miles and probably never seen mud (I just bought it used) so I'm guessing I don't need master overhaul kits.

Any thoughts, recommendations, advice, etc.?
Old 12-25-2012, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an 09 with 35's in Tallahassee with 3.73 gears and had no problems. I kept OD off on the interstate and it was fine. Only other mods were an intake and superchip. Now I run a 2013 Rubicon with 410's and 35's. both were fine. If you need 4th gear then go 513's. I didn't travel to far so it was never a big deal.

Quick Reply: Gear Help