Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

gear chart

Old 12-22-2010, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gear chart

the other day i found a chart that shows u the best gears to tires size for auto and manual tranny and where u get most power and best mpg. please post it up if you know what im talking about thanks
Old 12-22-2010, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

Old 12-22-2010, 07:29 PM
JK Freak

So just out of curiosity, I am wondering how exactly this chart works. I have a 3 in lift woth 33inch tires and I am doing terrible with my rpm. I have stock sahara gears. Correct me if I am wrong. If I were to upgrade tp 4.88 gears I would be getting the same rpm that I am getting now with my stock sahara gears.
Just looking at getting some clarity on this. Thanks for the help
Old 12-22-2010, 07:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to get a build sheet from the dealer and find out if you have 3.73 or 4.10 gears currently...then figure out the new gears. 4.88s would prob be a good choice. If you are looking to ever going to 35's then most folks with an AUTO go up to 5.13s. I know I did and it was the best choice ever.

This link may be helpful too. It is an excellent write up.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...?82262-Gearing
Old 12-22-2010, 11:08 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by redjeepjk12
the other day i found a chart that shows u the best gears to tires size for auto and manual tranny and where u get most power and best mpg. please post it up if you know what im talking about thanks
There is a big FAQ's area stickied right to the top of this modified area. Lots of good info there, including the rpm charts...

So just out of curiosity, I am wondering how exactly this chart works.
It's a simple cross-reference. Figure out what gears you have now, go measure your tires (measured, not mfg's spec), then cross reference.
A bit of advice - You have a 4door auto. Skip the 4.88's and go straight to 5.13's. (and if you happen to swap in a front 44, skip the 5.13's and go straight to 5.38's... )
Old 12-23-2010, 03:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2vpblaze
So just out of curiosity, I am wondering how exactly this chart works. I have a 3 in lift woth 33inch tires and I am doing terrible with my rpm. I have stock sahara gears. Correct me if I am wrong. If I were to upgrade tp 4.88 gears I would be getting the same rpm that I am getting now with my stock sahara gears.
Just looking at getting some clarity on this. Thanks for the help
Keep in mind the tire size noted on the charts is actual not reported. Take a tape measure out and measure your tire height.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

So, from the chart I see that a 3.73 with stock tires (32")and auto tranny is not correctly geared from factory? That combination only puts me in the yellow part of the chart.

Last edited by rickster; 12-23-2010 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Auto tranny
Old 12-23-2010, 03:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rickster
So, from the chart I see that a 3.73 with stock tires (32")and auto tranny is not correctly geared from factory? That combination only puts me in the yellow part of the chart.
That's true. I am in the same boat - I am planning to upgrade to 5.13s when I do my lift and 33s in January.

Read the FAQ at the top of this section

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ery-Newbie-Has

Lot of good info there.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grognard
That's true. I am in the same boat - I am planning to upgrade to 5.13s when I do my lift and 33s in January.

Read the FAQ at the top of this section

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ery-Newbie-Has

Lot of good info there.
I would re-gear also, I have a 2.5 BB, and planning on 33's. However, a regear will surely void my life long drivetrain warranty.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rickster
I would re-gear also, I have a 2.5 BB, and planning on 33's. However, a regear will surely void my life long drivetrain warranty.
Talk to your dealer and make sure. My dealer will keep my warranty if they do the work - I have a lifetime on my 2010 too, but its not through Chrysler.

My dealer is also competitive on costs for installs. But, if given a choice between the lifetime and installing prorock axles, well, I have already started saving

Quick Reply: gear chart