Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gear break in procedures

Old 08-23-2012, 03:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear break in procedures

I am super excited that I am going to pick up my Jeep tomorrow with brand new Yukon 4.88's and a Detroit in the rear. Is there any special kind of break in procedures I got to follow? If so how does that apply to the front end? Any input
Appreciated
Old 08-23-2012, 03:53 PM
JK Junkie

....Just take it easy on the skinny pedal for the first 500 miles. There after change your fluids.

Do not accelerate to quickly from a dead stop.
No towing for the 1st 500 miles and offroading
No long distance driving. If you have to, pull over every so often and let the diffs cool down

As for the front end you dont need to worry about that too much. When I did my regear, after reaching 500 mile mark, every other weekend I drove on the beach/sand in 4wd.....

Mendiola? That's a common name back home on Guam....
Old 08-23-2012, 04:07 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah I'm from Saipan. Aldaman I seen that name on Ohana Trails page or Oahu Jeeps one. So how long can I drive before its considered long. I ask because I got to make a 25 mile drive from the shop to my house
Old 08-23-2012, 04:25 PM
JK Junkie

Keep your speed under 60mph. You can drive 15-20 miles then have the Jeep rest for 10-15mins and continue the rest of your drive. Since you only have 25miles, I would let it rest at the 15mile mark for about 10mins and complete your destination...
Old 08-23-2012, 04:28 PM
JK Junkie

Yeah, I frequent the site and have purchased parts from Ohana Trails. You can also ask the owner Rich there about the break in and driving procedure, he's pretty knowledgeable and a great guy
Old 08-23-2012, 04:30 PM
JK Newbie

Alright sounds good. I think I'll just stop at the NEX and let it
Cool completely then drive the rest
Of the way back to Kaneohe
Old 08-23-2012, 04:56 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mendiola21
Alright sounds good. I think I'll just stop at the NEX and let it
Cool completely then drive the rest
Of the way back to Kaneohe
Cool, Esta later .....

Congrats
Old 08-23-2012, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

Default Front end

I hit the trails 3-4 times a month here kinda worried about breaking that part in. Kinda weird with all I gotta do for the back that not much has to be done up front before i got beat it up
Old 08-23-2012, 05:25 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mendiola21
I hit the trails 3-4 times a month here kinda worried about breaking that part in. Kinda weird with all I gotta do for the back that not much has to be done up front before i got beat it up
Had a similar question when I first did my regear back in '09...See the responses below....

Originally Posted by aldaman
..... My question is, does the front gearing (R&P) move/spin when not in 4wheel? or does the jeep have to be locked in 4 wheel? So is proper break in the front axle just as important as the rear..(duh..Yes......)? If so I guess I would have to drive in 4wheel at some dirt/sand trails couple of times a week..Thanks...
Originally Posted by spinlock
.......the front differential is driven as the front wheel turn. When you are in 4WD, the transfer case, drives the front DS, which drives the front differential,
which in turn drives the front wheels.

So during the break-in period your actually breaking in both diffs. Even though the rear is under higher load, the front gets worked enough by spinning to go
through the heat and wear cycle required for proper break in (at least in theory). IMO, you should still take it easy (i.e. don't go crawl a wall or bury yourself in 3 ft
of mud) the first couple of times you engage 4WD just to be on the safe.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:45 PM
JK Newbie

Default Alright!!!

Shoots Par sounds good. Are you on Oahu?? Lets hit up the trails when I get this all broken in. stah laters

Quick Reply: Gear break in procedures