Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gascap warning

Old 01-11-2014, 06:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
If it was the gas cap, it will take a few trips for it to go away unless you clear the code with a code reader.

There are a few things in addition to the gas cap that will bring on the gas cap warning.
It's telling you there is a leak somewhere in the Evaporative Emissions System.
If it detects a leak, and it happens to be soon after you filled the gas tank, it will assume you have not properly installed the gas cap, and will give you that warning.
X2 what he said, I've had it happen and in my experience in both Jeep's and my wife's car, you just need to make sure the cap is really tight, it should make a couple of clicking sounds.

after that just drive it a ways and it should just go off.

matthew
Old 01-12-2014, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Went to Autozone. Their scanner showed nothing and they could not clear the code.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Longshot

I learned a new trick not long ago on my JK. Turn the key to the on position (don't start it... just see all the dash lights come on). Then press the key inwards towards the steering column. While keeping it pressed in, turn the key to the off and then back to on (no starting the jeep!) 3 times. You have to do it pretty quickly and all while applying inward pressure to the key. When I first tried it, that was my problem, I was going to slow.

This makes your odometer go to hyphens for a second and then starts reading off codes for what's wrong with the jeep (have a friend with notepad and paper!). Pretty cool. So, on a trip home from Colorado, I had my ESP light go on. No big deal, but thought I would pull over and try the trick. It scanned for codes, found nothing wrong... but here's the kicker... it turned off my ESP light. Like a "reset" or something?

May be a one-off thing? But it's a pretty cool trick to know for the future.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Schlieko
I learned a new trick not long ago on my JK. Turn the key to the on position (don't start it... just see all the dash lights come on). Then press the key inwards towards the steering column. While keeping it pressed in, turn the key to the off and then back to on (no starting the jeep!) 3 times. You have to do it pretty quickly and all while applying inward pressure to the key. When I first tried it, that was my problem, I was going to slow.

This makes your odometer go to hyphens for a second and then starts reading off codes for what's wrong with the jeep (have a friend with notepad and paper!). Pretty cool. So, on a trip home from Colorado, I had my ESP light go on. No big deal, but thought I would pull over and try the trick. It scanned for codes, found nothing wrong... but here's the kicker... it turned off my ESP light. Like a "reset" or something?

Ha! Good find, I need to try this one, see what codes have been hanging around forever
Old 01-12-2014, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Tried the key trick. The code I got was GASCAP. Took the key out then started the jeep. Same code still comes on.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:28 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Schlieko

Yes, that's pretty cool, but there are quite a few codes it won't show. A code reader is needed if you want to gat all of them.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I simply forgot mine at a filling station and of course the light came on. Went to auto store bought a locking gas cap for $16.00. The light didn't turn off after the second day and said,"Screw this." Disconnected the battery for a few minutes and like magic, gone "Good."

PS: Good tip on reading my codes
Old 01-12-2014, 02:27 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by snytribe
His morning I got a gas cap warning on the dash. Checked gas cap and it is fine. Warning will not go away?
I really think if you tighten the gas cap till it clicks a couple of times, and give it a day or three it should go away...

if not then bring it to the dealer.

this is what dealerships for Jeep, Subaru and Mazda will tell you if you call with this problem

matthew
Old 01-12-2014, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's what I leaning towards. Give it a couple of days. If that does not work I will try disconnecting the battery. I checked everything underneath and all hoses and wiring look good. Do not want to have to go to the dealer. Do not trust the one near me at all. Met hanks for all the advise everyone.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Agree on couple days

That's a shame the key thing did not work. And I did not know it misses codes. I like having this at my fingertips so I am going to get a code reader. I am not super knowledgeable about the engine, etc, so when it does throw a code, I can do a ton of research (on this site!) before I take it to the mechanic. Try anything to do a DIY, before paying labor rates.

Agree on the wait a few days. I did not mention it because it has not happened on the JK (yet), but it happened multiple times on my previous TJ. 50+ miles and it would go off... like clockwork. When I got the JK, I do the same thing suggested to me on the TJ. I turn the gas cap until it's on a click... like the hump or middle of the click. I think someone told me to do that years ago and it stuck with me. I go halfway into a click and leave it there.

Quick Reply: Gascap warning