Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gas tank Skid Question

Old 01-23-2009, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas tank Skid Question

OMG man is my stock skid all bent up. Its bent upward into my gas tank and has put a crease in my gas tank. Im going to have to take it off and beat it out and put a new gas tank skid plate in there. So here is my Question. Im looking at the Rockhard Gas tank skid and was wondering if anyone has had any problems out of it at all? I think the ones that vibrate bad are the engine skids but havent heard anyone say anythign about the gas tank skids.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:45 AM
JK Freak

The skid plate that is under your jeep from the factory is the only thing holding it up there. There are no straps on your tank. I tried to drop mine an beat it straight but it was a pain so I left the dent in the skid and mounted the new one. Rock hard says to leave the factory skid on when you do this so the tank doesn't fall. Other than this I thought is was easy to mount, I put the skid on a jack and lifted it up to hold pressure while I was mounting.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you install them correctly, none of the Rock Hard skids will vibrate.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by seer1
If you install them correctly, none of the Rock Hard skids will vibrate.

It's not the skid that vibrates, it's the exhaust that hangs differently on all JK's.

I have had no issues with my RH skids. And they have saved me from really bad things happening to the Jeep. The Gas tank skid has the hardest to install. Not hard, but time consuming. I still have all the skids, but I did have to have them modified to work with the new stuff under the jeep.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:27 AM
rah
JK Newbie

I have the full set of RH skids. I agree the gas skid takes the longest to install. I only wish I had it on sooner. It was really hard to install with some dents in the OEM skid.

Quick Reply: Gas tank Skid Question