Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gas tank Skid plate question

Old 03-19-2012, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas tank Skid plate question

In order to install my RIPP Headers, i need to remove the Transmission cross member. Question is, the Gas skid is connected to it. If i remove it, the gas tank drops as well. Are the four bolts the only thing holding the gas tank, or are the separate? Thanks for any help provided
Old 03-19-2012, 10:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The gas tank just sits inside of the skid. If you remove the skid the tank drops out with it. It's not difficult to remove, but do it with the tank as empty as possible and watch out for the plastic lines that are connected at the fuel pump. Drop the tank down 2-3" then disconnect the fuel and vapor lines at the fuel pump. Also disconnect the electrical. Then you can remove the skid with the tank.

I used a floor jack along with straps around the frame rails to hold the weight while lowering it.

Quick Reply: Gas tank Skid plate question