Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

gas seep through floorboard?

Old 12-02-2011, 10:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas seep through floorboard?

A few days after finishing installing Monstaliner (which turned out great!)
I noticed a wet spot just around the.. front bracket that holds the back seat. (The back seat has been pulled out for awhile now) It smelled like gas. I wiped it up. Thought it was very strange at the time. Perhaps it could be the MEK I used to clean the tub seeping up through the liner after it had cured? That made no sense, but neither did the alternative.

Checked the next day and it was back. Its been a week or so and its still there. Just enough to notice, but not enough to drip. The ground underneath is dry, as well as the underside as best I can tell. If there were a gas leak... wouldnt it come from the bottom? and wouldnt it condensate and drip? why would it ooze up?

Its much smaller today (its been about 50 for last week or so and its only 35 today) so maybe its petering itself out? or maybe its just not as warm so its doing less?

What could cause this? Do I have a leak somewhere?.. Do I need to take her in?
I was super excited about the liner, and this is already starting to eat away at it.

Its on the driver side. directly behind the seat. surrounding the bracket mount for the rear seat. The tank is only a half to 3/4 full.

ANY ideas??... What should I check
Old 12-02-2011, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

you know what'll probably fix it?... a lighter!
Old 12-02-2011, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any chance you threaded way too long of a bolt in the bracket and it stabbed the tank? If it didn't accumulate before you did whatever your last mods were, I'd look heavily into whatever you just did.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:38 PM
JK Newbie

I didnt mess with it at all. Which is why its puzzling.

I should have taken pictures while it was still light out.. but maybe this helps visualize it a little?

Its a much smaller spot than it has been. It usually covers about half of the bracket. seeping up from the seam.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	244605
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	244604

[to the left of the picture as it gets darker is where the tub slopes down behind the drivers seat. The tailgate is to the right.]

Last edited by scrhamblin; 12-02-2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: photo caption
Old 12-02-2011, 06:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing i can think of is the prep work in doing the monster liner. If there was moisture or something on the surface and then it was sprayed over, the heat from the exhaust would make that moisture heat up and try to escape, which would expand and maybe crack the liner chipping it away. And now that there is a crack/hole in the liner it is easier for that moisture to escape causing a less prominent seep/wet spot.

You following me?

And little corners and ridges like that bracket would be a good place to hide water/moisture when wiping off or drying an area like that.

Quick Reply: gas seep through floorboard?