Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gas savings??

Old 05-12-2011, 11:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do your best to keep the "ECO" on
Old 06-01-2011, 02:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wgrin
Take pics to post here, I have to work!
Posted a thread in the Show and Tell section.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...llas-Jeep-Fest
Old 06-01-2011, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got my Superchips today, and i found my tire size was off. I made the correction and put in on Tow....drove around thru the city and out in the country to get about 18 mpg. I'm going to try a few more settings to see if i can get anything better.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:29 AM
JK Freak

Just wanted to update anyone interested. I often have a 40 mile commute to work. I'm driving an '08 JKU with 2" BB and 33's.
The price of gas is making me crazy.
After I read this thread and several others regarding bigger tires and fuel mileage I decided to do a little experimenting on my own. With my commute it makes for a great test course.
I posted earlier in this thread I was able to get into the mid 18 mpg range just with changing my driving habits: Drive like a grandpa
No A/C
Soft top
Removed non-essential cargo

Since then I've made some changes to the Jeep. I already had a K&N CAI. I installed Bushwacker flat panel flares. (ok, that really doesn't have anything to do with fuel economy). I installed NGK plugs and Granatelli plug wires.

So, one day last week, maintaining my driving as mentioned above I was able to get this:

I took this photo at a stop sign at the end of my commute. 20.1mpg !

I think I had a good tailwind that day, but it shows its do-able. Since then I've managed a 20.4 mpg run also.
However, the majority of the time I see the monitor range from 18.3 to 19.4.
I can live with this. Its better than the 2004 Tacoma I used to own.
I will probably invest in a programmer soon.

Incidentally, I made one off-road excursion for a few hours one weekend.
The monitor said 15.7......I don't really care about that, only the mpg on the road.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by texwillys
So, one day last week, maintaining my driving as mentioned above I was able to get this:

I took this photo at a stop sign at the end of my commute. 20.1mpg !

I think I had a good tailwind that day, but it shows its do-able. Since then I've managed a 20.4 mpg run also.
However, the majority of the time I see the monitor range from 18.3 to 19.4.
I can live with this. Its better than the 2004 Tacoma I used to own.
I will probably invest in a programmer soon.

Incidentally, I made one off-road excursion for a few hours one weekend.
The monitor said 15.7......I don't really care about that, only the mpg on the road.
Does your actual mileage (calculated when you fill your tank) match the one displayed? My actual is usually below the displayed one by 1mpg or so.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
Does your actual mileage (calculated when you fill your tank) match the one displayed? My actual is usually below the displayed one by 1mpg or so.
The mileage displayed is off some due to the larger tires I'm running.
So, yes it will be a little low. I see about 1 mpg difference also.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for this thread.. I went from 15mpg or so to about 19 just from prety much keeping it under 2k rpms and light footing it..
Old 06-09-2011, 07:54 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by prowler9
Thanks for this thread.. I went from 15mpg or so to about 19 just from prety much keeping it under 2k rpms and light footing it..
That, my friend, is why we are here.

I'll be the first to admit there is no fun to be had light-footing it, but it's more fun than paying 50% more for my gas. I haven't gotten 19 yet, but I can push it to 17/18. I'm still running in Superchip's Mileage XS mode for now, but the gutlessness is maddening.

I'll switch back to Tow tune at the next fill up and hopefully get to enjoy my Jeep AND get good mileage at the same time.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 3X4X4
Get a bicycle.

I realize most of you fellows do not recall the national 55mph speed limit that was imposed to reduce fuel consumption after the first oil embargo?

JR
I remember and I didn't like it then
Old 06-13-2011, 04:15 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm interested in mods to improve mileage also. I've got some trouble though -- I'm cheap.. read, thrifty... and I am a very hard sell with many of the common bolt-ons or tuners available to us. I've had my fun with those products with older vehicles of mine, and I wasn't often satisfied.

I'm after low-end and midrange torque.. I can think of a few internal engine mods I'd love to look into, but that's not very realistic. Squish band setup and checking compression ratio, looking into tight/high-velocity cylinder head porting, seeing if there are higher ratio rocker arms available, torque cams - tight LSA, under 220* duration. Etc. etc.

Realistically though, if I had the cash, I'd love to simply run some long tube headers, and a single custom cat-back exhaust with 2.125" tubing and a long straight through muffler. That exhaust idea is something I am pursuing now.

For now, I and running around in my lil '07 2dr, 6sp, 4.10'd JK with my rear seat removed, and no weight-adding mods at all. I am upset if I get anything less than an indicated 20.5mpg at each fill up. I am commonly around 20.5 to 21.5.

I commute a good amount. About 25-28,000 a year. I get my best mileage "around town". With my 6 speed and low gearing on 32's, I lose mileage when I go over 45-50mph. I can easily cruise in 6th at 30mph -- the downside is that I'm turning 2500 at 65mph. I average 20.5 to 21.5 mixing up my driving -- driving conservative, but also safe. Traveling with traffic, but being attentive and anticipating stops. I like to short shift and grab the highest gear possible too.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Gonna run some more searches...

Quick Reply: Gas savings??