Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gas savings??

Old 05-09-2011, 11:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought a new Honda civic. Drive it on far trips and rainy days. Leave doors and top off jeep. Drive it when it's not raining around town or wheeling.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ed Grizzo
Bought a new Honda civic. Drive it on far trips and rainy days. Leave doors and top off jeep. Drive it when it's not raining around town or wheeling.
My wife has a Camry hybrid (50mpg), I have the jeep lowbrid (16mpg), combined it averages out to a decent MPG
Old 05-10-2011, 04:44 AM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3X4X4
So, the speed limit is 50 to 55 and you keep it down to about 60, lol, OK. That is funny, my Jeep has never hit 70, well, maybe once or twice. They just increased the limit to 75mph, oh well.

JR
With all the trafic around you doing 65-70 mph it's hard for you not to float up to the 65-70 mph. At 60 mph I get dirty looks all the time.

Even at 65 mhp on average, I find my gas milage dropping to 16-17 mpg. At 70 it drops to 14-15 mpg range. The biggest killer of gas is traffic. I've done a week where I hit morning rush hour everyday and my milage dropped to the 14 mpg range.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dont let your jeep sit an idle. Stop going throygh drive thru's. Idling kills mileage.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I had more than a 30 mile round trip commute to work, I would not have a Wrangler for a daily driver, only for fun on the weekends.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a trail remove my front air dam and I installed an AEV snorkel and I get about 18.3mpg in city driving.

It would be a hard sell to legitimize buying an additional vehicle that gets better mpg. Add to that monthly payment, insurance, taxes, and maintenance on an additional vehicle and it really gets expensive. You will most likely pay much less by just sticking with the lower-mpg Jeep than using an additional high-mpg vehicle to "save money".

Just plug all those numbers into a spreadsheet and do the math. I tell this to all my friends that want to buy $hybrid$.
It might work out to be less cash out of your pocket each month if you drive a lot! Don't just assume you'll save money.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I hate to jump into this and be a downer but man oh man I cannot stand those people who say things like "Its a Jeep, get used to 0x mpg" or "You are driving a box on wheels". Not that we should expect to get 40mpg or anything even close, but those comments are just not helpful.

We should expect to get somewhere near 17 to 20 mpg with reasonable driving. As for the OP, I have to agree with a lot of other people here. I recently was careful about the skinny pedal and now with each successive fill up, my mpg is getting better and better.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

My commute is 30 miles one way to work and if I want/need to go to town another 30 in the opposite direction. I've settled knowing I won't get that hybrid or even honda MPG numbers but I would like to get a little more than what I am now (about 15mpg).

I'm thinking about taking the spare off and keeping a tire repair kit in the Jeep. But I'm also wondering if a snorkel really does help that much to justify the cost.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running a Sahara JKU with 4" lift and 315/70R17 tires, auto transmission, and a Superchip programmer. I've just started a little experiment. Here is what I'm doing.
  1. Run the Superchip in Mileage XS mode
  2. Disabled OD (Is there a steering wheel dance for permanent OD disable?)
  3. Permanently disable ESP (using the steering wheel dance)
  4. Running topless with no A/C.
  5. Using factory fluids until my free oil changes run out (4 left).
  6. Light on the skinny pedal (Trying to maintain RPM's under 2500 at all cost)
  7. Cut off engine at long stop lights or lights where I know the pattern
  8. No idling in parking lots, drive thru's, etc.
I just started the experiment and have been running around 16-17 mpg with about 50/50 city highway. School will be out in June, so I hope the experiment will yield improvements up to 18-20 mpg or so. We'll see.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MarbleheadGuy

There are 2 buttons on the display behind the steering wheel where the speedometer and everything is. Push the button on the right until the eco mode comes out. When you're not driving efficiently it will just say 'Eco', if you're driving like you're 85, it will say 'Eco On'.

I'm assuming it works the same on a standard as it does on my auto...
Hahaha, thanx

Quick Reply: Gas savings??