Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gas savings??

Old 05-09-2011, 10:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas savings??

We all love our jeeps I'm sure I can say we all hate the current gas prices!
Has anyone done anything that has had a positive impact for saving some fuel?
All ideas are welcome!!
Old 05-09-2011, 10:18 AM
JK Freak

nothing to major, i have my superchips on economy tune, i removed all winter recovery and extra gear in the jeep. and i tell my wife the doors are 50lbs each and we have to go doorless to save gas she doesnt like it but it makes sense i call it a win win. made sure all tires are properly inflated, clean air filter and routes that avoid strong winds. i live off the lake and that effects my mpg big time. but i love driving my jeep to much.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Put the 'eco' mode indicator on and really follow it - light like a feather on the gas and keep that 'eco on'. I went from around 16.5mpg to about 20.2mpg over 10 days of careful skinny pedal pressure. Try it.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MarbleheadGuy
Put the 'eco' mode indicator on and really follow it - light like a feather on the gas and keep that 'eco on'. I went from around 16.5mpg to about 20.2mpg over 10 days of careful skinny pedal pressure. Try it.
So mostly easy on the pedal?
Old 05-09-2011, 02:26 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a 6spd with a cold air intake and exhaust. I've found that if I just go easy on the pedal and always shift up to as high a gear as possible I'm easily averaging 20-21mpg. Even on the highway at 80mph, I'll still get 19.5-20mpg.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MarbleheadGuy
How do you put the "Eco" indicator on... I have a 6spd... Thanx
Old 05-09-2011, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Eco light is our new friend. Drive like that old man in a hat and coast when ever possible.

Maybe it's cause my new 2011 has less then 600 miles on it, but everyday is a slow Sunday lately, poor thing doesnt even know what the highway feels like with the top down.
When the honeymoon is over, im sure those little rubber nibs on the tire will be peeled off doing neutral drops in front of the Highway patrol.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

1. make sure truck is well maintained
2. use synthetic fluids when applicable
3. remove as much weight as possible "within reason"
4. drive as smooth and light as possible
4a. If you have a tuner put it on an economy/mileage mode

You might get a mpg or two from doing these things. Driver mod will net the most if you drive irratically and or way above the 65mph range.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I added a motorcycle and now i'm getting around 60 mpg.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SIDsjeep
nothing to major, i have my superchips on economy tune, i removed all winter recovery and extra gear in the jeep. and i tell my wife the doors are 50lbs each and we have to go doorless to save gas she doesnt like it but it makes sense i call it a win win. made sure all tires are properly inflated, clean air filter and routes that avoid strong winds. i live off the lake and that effects my mpg big time. but i love driving my jeep to much.

X2 on the superchip. I run the 87 set up with by tire/axle ratio corrected and I get about 2MPG more than before. I also keep my tires aired to 30.

Has anyone installed the Fitch fuel catlyst? Does that increase gas mileage? I was thinking about getting it and then setting my superchip to 92, but still running regular.

Quick Reply: Gas savings??