Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gas octanne in 3.6

Old 07-09-2014, 01:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey if you want non ethanol gas. Homedepot has it for like 5 dollars a liter !!,
Old 07-09-2014, 01:59 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by HogHoden
Not even close to the point of the post, but since you mentioned it, here is how it IS related. Lead in the form of tetraethyllead was added to gasoline to increase octane until the 70's. Now other additives are used and we call it unleaded. Ethanol is one of these additives used to increase octane. One method is to add it in the form of MTBE, made by synthesizing ethanol and isobutylene. (But other methods are generally cheaper) When adding anhydrous ethanol (as in today's ubiquitous E10 gasoline), it raises the octane rating by a couple points.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline#History

Facts, not marketing.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kdrifter
Your mileage can/will literally vary. My last two cars, 2008 4.7 v8 4runner and 2012 Ridgeline both had higher milege with 91. Because I tow an enclosed trailer every other weekend to the track, I often used 91. Haven't tried with the jk yet because I want to form a strong baseline with 87 before starting my experiments. Only have a 1000 miles so far.
I'm not sure about the other vehicles, but the 4Runner does so by design. In the manual it states that you will get better mileage and performance with the 91 octane but it will operate with as low as 85. If it senses that the fuel is lower octane, the computer adjusts the tune. In my experiences the milage was only a 1 or 2 mpg difference and the power was not noticeable.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This makes perfect sense, if the computer will do that on a jeep. Anyone want to call and find out?

Originally Posted by Smitty12JKU
I'm not sure about the other vehicles, but the 4Runner does so by design. In the manual it states that you will get better mileage and performance with the 91 octane but it will operate with as low as 85. If it senses that the fuel is lower octane, the computer adjusts the tune. In my experiences the milage was only a 1 or 2 mpg difference and the power was not noticeable.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not seen anything that would suggest that on the Jeep. The manual just recommends 87 so I doubt it.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
Again, nothing to do with the conversation or your points.

I realize that the Exxon/Mobile page I linked to does not contain any 'science'. It's simply a definition of what octane rating actually is, and a manufacturer stating that it, by itself, has nothing to do with energy contained or mileage. If my post made it seem like I was linking to a peer reviewed scientific article then I apologize for the confusion. I do not see any marketing material on that page however.

I just thought it would be helpful for the cool-aide drinkers to see that even the manufacturers of gasoline tell you that a higher than recommended octane rated fuel will not net any benefit.

I can see however that most people are still beholden to the 'feel it in the seat of my pants' logic rather than reality, so I will bow out of the conversation. Good luck to you all.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Octane?

One day, this will be as silly as black and white TV.

Tesla Motors | Premium Electric Vehicles

Quick Reply: Gas octanne in 3.6