Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gas octanne in 3.6

Old 07-08-2014, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
Interesting. I can't say I share your what i'm assuming to be personal experience. I am a fuel mileage lunatic.

It's not just personal experience, it's science!

Octane Rating - Understanding Fuel Octane | Exxon and Mobil
Old 07-08-2014, 12:01 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

If an engine is designed to run well on 87, and you switch to a higher octane, then observe better performance or miles per gallon, it's an indication something is wrong which makes it run less well on the 87.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:04 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by HogHoden
I run 87. I'd run 85 if they sold it here. Octane rating has absolutely nothing to do with the mileage you will get. It is NOT an indicator of the energy contained in the fuel. It is a measure of how resistant the fuel is to combustion due to compression. If you run 87 and are not getting any knocking, there is no benefit to running a higher octane rated fuel. The user manual even recommends against using premium fuel. Ethanol does contain less energy than gasoline, so mileage would be higher with pure non-ethanol gas than the 10% Ethanol gas sold almost everywhere these days.
i only run 85 due to the altitude. We're at 5400' and often go above 12,000'.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:07 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
Interesting. I can't say I share your what i'm assuming to be personal experience. I am a fuel mileage lunatic. I clock every tank and do the math manually. I always have with all my vehicles. One thing I've noticed over the years is a sudden fall off in MPG's to be a sign something isn't working right or needs cleaned. I've consistently noted better marks with higher octane fuel. This is especially true for me with vehicles that I've had, that had performance modifications. Since driving style is situation based, to be accurate, it takes a lot of data to be able to make an accurate assessment. My last modified vehicle was a Silverado with custom exhaust, long tubes, Powerbond balancer, performance tune, etc... Even before the mods, that 5.3 preferred the higher octane fuel, and after mods and tune, it would spark knock with out higher octane fuel. I don't remember if I posted pictures of the build or not, but some of my write ups on that last build can be found at: PerformanceTrucks.net Forums - Powered by vBulletin When I make mods, I dyno it.
the only absolute way to support your findings is to have the vehicle at identical settings, weight, temp., barometric pressure, wind speed, humidity, etc., etc. you my friend suffer from Placeboffectitis. It wears off with experience. Hang in there. Have a beer.

As for octane vs. mods, all depends on the mods, then, yes, octane change would be required or preferred. I modified a Volvo S60, which required premium to start with. I had it dyno tested and was milking 410 hp and 425 ft. Lbs. on pump gas. When I tried 105 octane, here was hardly a difference reflected on the dyno, in the same shop, same temp, humidity, etc. I think e motor was maxed out. But octane, is only stability and resistance to combustion as stated earlier. Higher compression, higher temps, require more stable fuel or it will pre ignite, creati a ping, knock, whatever. But taking a stock vehicle, and simply dumping different octane in it, does not magically increase mpg or hp.

Last edited by Jeepstin12; 07-08-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running 87 in my 14 jkur. I've only had it a few weeks. However, it is my 37th car and being an engineer I like to run experiments. In multiple cars I saw a 1-2 mpg increase running 91. This is observed over multiple iterations and testing. No it wasn't lab tested and no I could not control all the variables such as temp, load, etc.

However, I'm a firm believer that higher octane CAN affect mpg. My rationale is that modern efi engine can further advance timing which possibly creates more power given the same amount of fuel consumed. Higher octane has a higher ability to resist knock.

Your mileage can/will literally vary. My last two cars, 2008 4.7 v8 4runner and 2012 Ridgeline both had higher mileage with 91. Because I tow an enclosed trailer every other weekend to the track, I often used 91. Haven't tried with the jk yet because I want to form a strong baseline with 87 before starting my experiments. Only have a 1000 miles so far.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:12 PM
JK Newbie

I wonder if they talk so much about MPG and how to save on gas, in a Ferrari, Lamborghini or any high performance car Forums. We all drive the least aerodynamic car out there, which is already heavy to start with and then most of us load it up with mods. Don't get why people get so hanged up on how to make it more gas friendly.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:36 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Chipxzs
I wonder if they talk so much about MPG and how to save on gas, in a Ferrari, Lamborghini or any high performance car Forums. We all drive the least aerodynamic car out there, which is already heavy to start with and then most of us load it up with mods. Don't get why people get so hanged up on how to make it more gas friendly.
I'm with ya!
Old 07-09-2014, 01:45 AM
JK Freak

good old regular 85 straight gas, none of that horrible ethanol, did you know corn ethanol is terrible for the envioronment? it takes more energy to make then it yields as a fuel, not only that, but there are millions of people going hungery, while we waste corn on fuel...... f***ing iowa and their f***ing ethanol corn subsidies.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:46 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Chipxzs
hehe i wonder if the ferraris and labos would be willing to slap on 200+ pound solid metal bumpers or winches, or on board air tanks for tire refills.... stock jku wieght, near 5k pounds, add on some rock climb armor and bumpers and stuff, 6-7k easy !!!
Old 07-09-2014, 03:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mountain Man Tim
good old regular 85 straight gas, none of that horrible ethanol, did you know corn ethanol is terrible for the envioronment? it takes more energy to make then it yields as a fuel, not only that, but there are millions of people going hungery, while we waste corn on fuel...... f***ing iowa and their f***ing ethanol corn subsidies.
You nailed it. It's a farm subsidy

Quick Reply: Gas octanne in 3.6