Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gas Mileage...NEED HELP!!!

Old 12-04-2011, 12:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Mileage...NEED HELP!!!

I drive almost an hour each way to work every day, my 09 JK is my daily driver. I just put 35's on with a 2.5" lift, and am getting 13-14 mpg on a good day. I havent done anything with the motor, but I'm looking for some tips to improve my mpg (short of buying another car). Help?
Old 12-04-2011, 12:37 AM
JK Newbie

SOUNDS LIKE YOU NEED TO RE-GEAR IT !! iM RUNNING 37'S WITH 513 GEARS AND ON A GOOD DAY , AND NO WIND , I GET ABOUT 17.8 MILES PER GALLON !! I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WHEN I HAD THE SAME SET UP AS YOU , IT FELT LIKE MY FOOT WAS TO THE FLOOR THE WHOLE TIME I WAS ON THE E-WAY !!
Old 12-04-2011, 12:39 AM
JK Newbie

Whoa, easy on the all caps there.

I noticed a little bit of a gain (maybe a couple of miles per gallon) when i put in a new cold air intake. A programmer supposedly helps too, but I'm hesitant to recommend that since I haven't done it myself.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know u said don't suggest buying another car but me thinks ur confused w/"daily driver" vs "commuter".

Really, if ur driving that much buy a used civic or something that gets 30 mpg and tires that cost $100.

My stock rubi DD gets about 15 mpg, I'm mostly around town and work from home, so I don't care, it is what it is.

I'd get another set of commuter wheels/tires if nothing else. My kids 11 JKUX w/3.73's gets almost 20 mpg commuting and doesn't look bad doing it.

You can't have ur cake and eat it too w/a jeep until they cut the weight 2,500 lbs and start using 2000cc 4 bangers again (I bet that day is coming too).
Old 12-04-2011, 01:35 AM
JK Newbie

If it's a 4-cylinder diesel engine, I'll take it
Old 12-04-2011, 02:13 AM
JK Newbie

I know I won't get 30mpg, I'm just looking to ease the pain a little bit. Thanks for the tips, I'll be looking into them.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmulholla
I drive almost an hour each way to work every day, my 09 JK is my daily driver. I just put 35's on with a 2.5" lift, and am getting 13-14 mpg on a good day. I havent done anything with the motor, but I'm looking for some tips to improve my mpg (short of buying another car). Help?
I don't have 35s or a lift but I just put 33's on a few months ago and noticed my MPG drop drastically. I was barely getting 15. I know alot of guys that went to 35s talk about re-gearing which will more than likely help. A buddy on the forum suggested I get the AEV Procal. I was able to turn off my TPMS light but more importantly, I was able to do the tire size setting which readjusted the shift points and the speedo. I believe that is what is causing you to lose the MPG. I am back to 18+ MPG. It was about $150 from Quadratec. Some people like the other programmers but for what I wanted, this was good enough.

I hope this helps and good luck!!
Old 12-04-2011, 02:41 AM
JK Junkie

Here's a bunch of stuff that will help pretty much in the order of what will be the most effective.

1. Slow down. The JK has the aerodynamics of a barn. Drag is where most of your power gets eaten up at highway speeds.

2. Re-Gear or turn Overdrive Off. Given the rpm you are likely cruising at your JK is probably doing some gear hunting. This means unlocking the converter where you will have power loss in the transmission fluid and also over revving on down shifts. Higher revs aren't necessarily robbing you of economy if you keep the torque converter locked up.

3. Buy a Tuner. All of them will post somewhat better mileage, likely kick down less and as a bonus provide better power. I've always seen less than an 18 month payback on the tuners. I up the octane in the summer when fuel is more expensive and thinner air, while using regular in the winter months when I know my mileage will suffer anyway.

4. Air up your tires. Make sure your tires are properly inflated. Give up some comfort for a moderately higher inflation rate (2-3lbs).

5. Drop in Air Filter. While you aren't going to buy much in the way of fuel savings, there is some. An aftermarket reusable drop in filter has a moderate payback length while saving you money on replacement paper filters. A CAI will provide much of the same but due to the expense I don't think you ever get your money back for it.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Regear and get a superchip. With those 2 mods you are looking at around $1900 which seems like a lot, but it will get you 2-4mpg back. That is roughly 50 miles per tank of gas or more. It will pay for itself in time, plus you will gain back the power you loss, be able to tow, be able to pass people, and have something when you put your foot down.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:20 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jmulholla
I know I won't get 30mpg, I'm just looking to ease the pain a little bit. Thanks for the tips, I'll be looking into them.
You're driving the wrong vehicle. Gas mileage has never been a strong point for a Jeep you should have known that for the start.Like one poster suggested spending $1900 and maybe gain 2mpg hardly justifies the cost IMO, just bite the bullet or find another ride.

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage...NEED HELP!!!