Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gas Mileage

Old 11-15-2011, 04:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by isuadam
Only drive downhill.
... both ways

Seriously though... tire pressure, lower rpm's (highest gear), driving habits.

Other than that... you could get a Prius. Not!
Old 11-15-2011, 05:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Besides only going downhill, make sure you have tail winds or even going downhill you will get poor mileage. ;-)

It's a very poorly designed engine and already on its limits even on a stock Jeep. The more I use it, the more it confirms several complaints I read everywhere. Chrysler should do their customers a favor and only use Honda or Toyota engines. Those two know how to design and build them.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:29 PM
JK Freak

I need some help and it was kind of addressed in this thread.
I understand Jeeps don't get the best gas mileage but I think I should be doing better than 12mpg city? I see some guys are getting high teens?
I am running 33inch tires on a 4 inch lift with stock gears, is there anything that will help my gas mileage? do I need to look for any problems?
I have heard turning the over drive button off will help.
Any serious sugestions?
Old 11-18-2011, 04:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Slob
I need some help and it was kind of addressed in this thread.
I understand Jeeps don't get the best gas mileage but I think I should be doing better than 12mpg city? I see some guys are getting high teens?
I am running 33inch tires on a 4 inch lift with stock gears, is there anything that will help my gas mileage? do I need to look for any problems?
I have heard turning the over drive button off will help.
Any serious sugestions?
I really think it has a lot to do with the automatic trans. I get 16-17.5 with my manual and 35's with 4.88's. Are you running 3.73? Your trans is prolly always searching for gears, with the TC locking and unlocking. And putting in OD off would lock you in higher rpms
Old 11-18-2011, 06:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dwikto
my rubi started with terrible milage for about 4k miles then it bumped up. then i did allmy mods and it dropped slightly. I have 34" tires alot of armor and hundreds of punds of tools and get just under 16mpg.

last week i took out all of the tools got my exhaust chopped and a magnaflow straight muffler put in and I was getting 18mpg. do not know if it was the weight or the exhaust. I am sure it was a little of both, but the exhaust mostly!!

BTW I have seen so many people doing cat back systems from the internet or where ever for 4-$500.00. I was able to get mine done at a local shop including the magnaflow for $120.00. my exhaust runs just past the evap and then dumps down short of the rear axle. no bends in pipe from the y back! Also that stock muffler is huge and weighs prob. 40lbs. now that area is open for future mods.

hope that helps!
How about if you put back all the weight you took off and let us know what MPG you get. That way you will know if the the magnaflow made a difference.

Last edited by Tuto; 11-18-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regearing to 4.88 will put you pretty much back to stock power but going to 5.13 will set you up nicely if you want to upgrade to 35s later. Also try a hypertech or superchips tuner. Cai will help also and throttle body spacer
Old 11-19-2011, 03:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have read that those throttle body spacers do nothing as far as MPGs and added power goes? Am I wrong?
Old 11-19-2011, 08:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read a couple threads on here that say you get a little more power. You should definitely get a better throttle response
Old 11-19-2011, 09:39 AM
JK Newbie

averaging 16mpg city/highway mixed. 35's and auto w/SC
Old 11-19-2011, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm getting around 26 highway 18 city 6 speed with 33's

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage