Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gas mileage

Old 01-14-2012, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from stock sahara duelers to 33's with a 2" lift and lost about 3.5mpg. I did the calculation by hand based based on the gallons used and current odometer miles traveled reading but that would now be a bit off based on the jump in tire size.

Time to get a procal.

Last edited by lakeguy; 01-14-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:30 PM
JK Newbie

I think they were 225 something 16 Goodyear wrangler. Now I have nitto trail grapplers 285 65 18
Old 01-14-2012, 04:32 PM
JK Newbie

I'm new to the jeep forums so I'm unfamiliar with some of the lingo. What would a procal do? I'm assuming it's a computer reprogramer.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:36 PM
JK Newbie

Yup it is, allows you to reconfig your computer for proper readings for increased tire size, gear change, lift, fuel and tire pressure! The BOMB! must get
Old 01-14-2012, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

it is made by aev u can pick one up on most 4x4 online stores
Old 01-14-2012, 04:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

you can also just do manual calcs. take the mpg you calc on a tank and multipy it by the new larger tire diameter divided by the old smaller tire diameter. with the larger tires you're going more miles than your odometer reads so your mpg is better than what you think it is.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bbolander
you can also just do manual calcs. take the mpg you calc on a tank and multipy it by the new larger tire diameter divided by the old smaller tire diameter. with the larger tires you're going more miles than your odometer reads so your mpg is better than what you think it is.
Even though the computer is reading a lot less? I know changing gears makes a big difference on the spedo, I didn't think it would be that big of difference on my fuel. I have to just fill the tank and clock the miles to calculate myself. What's the difference in those programmers. I know there are different ones so is procal the best? I do see a lot of others for sale on te billboard.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Stock tires on my 2010 Rubicon

First year overall: 17.24
First 9 months of second year: 19.24

I keep track of each tank incase I have a sudden drop. I had a large drop on a vehicle years ago and the dealer didn't want to take my word for it. I now keep track of each tank and the driving conditions for it.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Lousifer
Even though the computer is reading a lot less? I know changing gears makes a big difference on the spedo, I didn't think it would be that big of difference on my fuel. I have to just fill the tank and clock the miles to calculate myself. What's the difference in those programmers. I know there are different ones so is procal the best? I do see a lot of others for sale on te billboard.
i'm not saying not to get a procal, you should to correct both your odometer reading and your evic mpg on the display.

but to correct your mpg with the new tires vs the old tires you just have to do the manual calc and tire diameter ratio. if you've done other things like changing gears the same thing applies, multipy by the new gear ratio divided by the original gear ratio.

your odometer and evic only count the number of revolutions to determine miles and mpg. for one revolution with the big tires you're going a longer distance than with the small tires.

Quick Reply: Gas mileage