Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gas Cans and CARB

Old 03-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas Cans and CARB

So I ranted about this last night to Eddie about the California Air Research Board, but to make a long story short: All Jerry cans sold have to be CARB compliant U.S. in all 50 states starting January 2009 (or atleast there schedualed for that date)... This means many of the Jerry cans out there that we know and love will be Illegal to be sold. So I'm just wondering what the Cali. folks are doing for extra gas these days sence there in the state that makes all the Rules for the rest of the country?

So far I've only found one tank that can be used there and that is one made by Wedco... Rumor has it that scepter is going to stop all sales of there mil. spec cans this year (if they already haven't), Sence those are out, and the ones we're making haven't gone through the testing of the CARB yet, I'm wondering what other Jerry cans we should make a mount for as an Option to ours?

....And if your wondering, no you cant see ours and what makes them different.... Yet....
Old 03-03-2008, 03:54 PM
JK Junkie

Sceptre made an amazingly safe can that would melt, but not explode. No wonder it's illegal. We're going to find some stuff for a while at flea markets and such, but someday...

I still have my 1954 design French (sorry, they were $10 each at the time) surplus cans.

It seems like 5 gal cans have a similar footprint so follow Rock Hard's lead and make sure you have an option for us to use a tie down strap. Come up with a locking tie down strap and you will reach near deity status (at least to me. ) I may be silly, but those screw-on hold downs just don't cut it for me. Strap it in I say.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:06 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's a "CARB" can?
CARB stands for California Air Resources Board. They established environmental requirements for portable fuel containers in California. Some other states have also adopted these requirements. U.S. EPA plans to adopt similar national requirements in January 2009. No-Spill meets these requirements with the following features:
1. An autostop, self venting nozzle that stops the flow of fuel when the target tank reaches full. 2. A single opening for filling & pouring. No separate vents or openings. 3. A treated can body for very low permeation. 4. Automatic closure. Nozzle automatically springs to the closed position when not pouring.
What's the difference between No-Spill's CARB cans and regular (non-CARB) cans?
No-Spill's regular (non-CARB) cans are very similar to our CARB compliant cans. After changes in CARB regulations effective July 2007, the only difference between a No-Spill® CARB compliant can and our regular (nonCARB) can is the special treatment of the can body for low permeation. By January 2009 the US EPA will require that all fuel cans comply with new EPA regulations (similar to CARB) so our regular (nonCARB) cans will be discontinued and No-Spill® will only produce our CARB/EPA compliant version.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:36 PM
JK Junkie

Doesn't it also have something to do with raw gas fumes from the opening as well?
Old 03-03-2008, 04:39 PM
JK Junkie

Sorry Robar, I didn't read your post carefully enough. Doesn't that whole self venting nozzle thing mess with the standard non-CARB gas cans?
Old 03-03-2008, 04:40 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by seer1
Doesn't it also have something to do with raw gas fumes from the opening as well?
I don't know. That is one of the first things I found. I have a metal can with a metal spout. Didn't even know that I had to have a CARB can.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can't wait for your new bumper, have been dreaming of it since we spoke on the phone last week. That whole CARB approved Gas can thing is horseshit. Who's the schmuck in the EPA who got paid eough to come up with that brainstorm? I guess that answers my question to you about using your cans vs using my cans I already have huh? Thanks for the info.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

Does anyone know if the new 'CARB compliant can' can be made to the same dimensions of my old jerry cans or is the wide stance of the 'no-spill' part of the new regs?

Mikey
Old 03-03-2008, 05:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

I think the CARB compliant thing is all in the spout, but I don't know for sure.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Robar
I think the CARB compliant thing is all in the spout, but I don't know for sure.
I sure hope so...I'd hate to rebuild my spare tire mount and can carriers to make some government official happy.

Mikey

Quick Reply: Gas Cans and CARB