Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Gas Back flow on fillup

Old 08-27-2008, 01:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Back flow on fillup

The last four times I've filled my tank, as soon as the pump stops, when I lift the nozzle out of the tank, 2-3 cups of gas comes shooting out of the tank of my Jeep. It completely soaks the rear quarter panel between the rear flare and the license plate holder.

Is this something that could have broken something that triggers the auto stop too late, forcing too much fule to go in?

Or (more likely?) is there a vent line clogged, creating too much pressure in the tank?

Or (hopefully not), I installed the Woods evap can relocator six months ago. It's worked fine until two weeks ago, when this started happeneing. Could one of those hoses have gotten clogged? Could the evap can be bad? There is no leak under the vehicle anywhere near this vicinity.

I installed a cheap air horn about two weeks ago. I swapped the rear wiper fuse for the horn fuse (I have a softtop only) as was recommended in a writeup here. Would this affect anything?

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2008, 01:47 AM
JK Jedi

I know others have had this issue. I always do a manual fill-up on the JK and haven't had any issues since.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Question Me too

NO KIDDING!

This just started happening to me on the last two fill-ups (past two weeks)! I just figured I was doing something stupid. The last time I filled up, I did it manually too since the station didn't have the tabs for me to lock it in place.

What causes this? This post couldn't be more timely.

As an aside: Phish, how's Newport News treating you? I've been relocated to Kings Bay, but I remember seeing your Jeep from time to time. You're the one that inspired me to get the Shrockworks sliders ! Thanks - they're awesome !

Last edited by P8RE8; 08-27-2008 at 01:53 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Same think has been happening to me. It has happened 4 times in the past month. At first I thought it was the pump at the gas station I frequent, but then it happened at a couple other places.

It is really annoying!!!!!
Old 08-27-2008, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's probably just cool gas meeting warm tank.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default First pumped gas in 1957

It's pump speed. Use the slow notch to fill up. Wait 4 or 5 seconds for the tank pressure to equalize before removing the nozzle. Cold gas and hot tank has nothing to do with it.( visualise old man with cane smiley):d
Old 08-27-2008, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cool won't argue, but...

I hear ya, but I've been filling up for over a year and a half with no issues, and now, all of a sudden, the past two consecutive fills have done this to me. Something has changed.

Maybe the .50 cent drop in gas prices has made my Jeep extra thirsty
Old 08-27-2008, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by neoxxis
Same thing happened to me the first time I filled up...
It's still more than 100$ !!!!!
$100 = £50 i wish, to fill mine is £108.00 rougly, and thats $216.00! lol!!
Old 08-27-2008, 11:08 AM
JK Super Freak

i carried an old towel in the back so when it happened i could just wipe it down. now i listen to the pump and don't try and pump an extra gallon in her belly
Old 08-27-2008, 11:22 AM
urbikesucks

Question i remember that

I will have to ask the wife if it is still doing this. I have been in Iraq going on 11 months, (4 to go) and she hasn't said anything. But than again she will goto gas station and put like 10.00 in and drive and than wait till near empty and do it again... Drives me crazy. I fill completly up every time her and my vech, harley and dirt bikes... Maybe it's just me?

Quick Reply: Gas Back flow on fillup