Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Garage Tool Kit Advice

Old 06-26-2024, 01:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Garage Tool Kit Advice

Hi everyone,

I bought my 2013 JKU knowing that I would at some point start doing some of my own maintenance and modifications to it. Well, that day has come. I have a list of stuff that I would like to do to my Jeep. I will first need to research those tasks and decide if I want to attempt it myself or take it to the shop. But even before I go that route, I would like to know what kind of specialty tools I'm going to need to work on my jeep in the areas of:
Suspension maintenance and/or upgrades (air bags maybe)
Fluid flush/changes. All of them that are needed around the 125k mark
Wiring (including running wires from the engine compartment to the rear of the vehicle)
Brake/Rotor maintenance
Adding Aux Switches/brake controller

I know the list is pretty vague. Maybe it's better to tell you the tools I do have.
I already have a standard set of 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch sockets in deep and standard depth, both common SAE and metric sizes. I also have standard size combo wrenches in SAE (upto 3/4) and metric (upto 19mm). I do not have any of the specialty tools that work with these tools. Meaning, pivot head ratchets, extenders, pivot extenders, or any of that.
I have a full array of (and probably triplicate of) your standard homeowner tools, bits and what not. I do a very large amount of DIY and woodworking.
Full set of electrician tools.
I do not have any automotive specific tools for removing plastic rivets or interior panels
I do not have any fluid removal tools
I do not have any jacks, or stands, or any of that.

Hopefully you guys can give me the info on what to get and what to avoid. I know there is a big gap in what I have vs where I need to be, but the best I can find through searching is what people usually use in trail kits. Bottom line, if you were just starting out and working on your first JK, what tools would you suggest?
Old 06-26-2024, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 378 Likes on 353 Posts

Welcome to JK Forum.. To Start .. Definitely a Jack (you said garage so Harbor Freight 1.5 ton when on sale) Jack Stands get good ones.. I use a 6 ton set from Amazon. Suggest a 21, 22, 23 mm sockets. A hand pump fluid transfer pump .. HF or Amazon sourced. HF for extensions sets .. Amazon for the swivels for socket flex. A really strong group on hear that are big DIYers.
Old 06-26-2024, 04:47 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,627 Posts

You do not need a ton of "specialty" items that will set the budget back, but there are a few things you should pick up.

Things you really need:
1) 50-250 ft lbs torque wrench for suspension, steering, brake, and wheel work. this doesn't have to be Snap-On quality. The Kobalt at Lowes is nice. I'm not a fan of Husky at HD, but anything along this quality (Craftsman, etc) is fine. Harbor Freight is probably just fine too tbh.

2) a good dual piston 3-ton jack if you don't have one already. if you have an air compressor you might even explore air jacks, but you would be using a jack for a long time in the future regardless of vehicles so think of this one as an investment. do not get a cheap 2-ton thing. dual-piston, low-profile is the best route to go.

3) 3-ton Jack stands. Not sure I would go Harbor Freight on this one as your life could depend on it. You might even get a set of 2-ton used off FBM or CL just cuz sometimes 3-ton is too high. 3-ton to support at frame rails, 2-ton if having to support axle, if that makes sense.

4) oil pan. I've had several over the years and this one is really nice -

Things that are nice to have:
1) Mitty vac if you plan to service transmission fluid. Trying to do a controlled spill out of the pan is comical. That is one job where you really need to pull the fluid out of the dipstick tube.

2) small bit driver like this to get in tight spots (PCV valve replacement, rear transmission pan bolts). can be even cheaper than this one but just go for as slim as possible when the bit is inserted, if that makes sense.

3) flexible head ratcheting combo box wrenches are sure nice to have. I use them all the time. (HF ones don't cost much, maybe put on gift lists for folks that might buy you presents)
4) small set of picks are handy to have (harbor freight cheapies)
5) if you ever remove your front unit bearings (wheel hubs) you'll need a 12-pt 13mm socket for those bolts (can buy individual socket at auto store). I think the front axle nut is like a 36mm but the easiest thing to do is leave that axle nut on and pull the hub bolts and yank alxe shafts/hubs out as 1 unit

I'm sure there are a ton of things I'm missing but I'm on vacation and that is just a quick top of mind list. if you ever ask about specific jobs I know I'll have things that come to mind.
Old 06-26-2024, 06:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You got some good advice with the 2 replies so far. Definitely a good jack and 2 or more jack stands that you're willing to trust your life with. And the torque wrench is important for even oil changes (so that you don't crack the plastic housing on the oil filter housing, if nothing else). I had what could have been a serious problem when I apparently didn't check the torque on the lug nuts for a front wheel, and they worked themselves loose when crossing a 9,000' pass in California.
If you don't have one, get a 1/2" breaker bar for those sockets, and keep it in the JK when you travel (I keep mine with a 19 mm socket for the lug nuts). And I travel with my bottle jack and a 4x6x12 block of wood in case of a flat tire, as the factory jack is a pain to deal with.
Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

a minimal jack will lift your Jeep but it will be more difficult. I have a 25 ton bottle jack for my C class RV and I can lift the JKU 4 door literally with one hand on the pump and little to no exertion. A high capacity jack just makes it so much easier

Quick Reply: Garage Tool Kit Advice