Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Garage door 75.75" tall, would 35" tires / TF leveling kit still let me in?

Old 10-26-2015, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Garage door 75.75" tall, would 35" tires / TF leveling kit still let me in?

I have an older garage. The garage door opening is about 75 3/4" tall. I could possible remove the 1x4 trim piece running along the header if needed.

So would 35 / 12.5 tires and a TF leveling kit or TF performance leveling kit still let me still park in the garage. I have no idea how much higher the jeep would be with this. The picture below is the back of the jeep where the wheels have just rolled over the 1" lip of the garage floor - looks like there is about 3.5" before the garage trim piece.

If you folks say no, then 33s or 34s (depending on tire) would be ok with me. I just want to be able to park it in our garage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep top garage.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	628519
Old 10-26-2015, 12:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Just do some quick addition.

Current 32's measure 31", new 35's measure 34". 3" difference in tire height, so the jeep goes up 1.5". If you don't already have the tires, find some threads on that tire/size and see if anyone posted actual height numbers - don't just use the mfg's spec - the actual mounted height under the jeep could be an inch or more shorter than the spec.

TF performance leveling kit is 2" front, correct? But it is coils, so that could be 2.5" for a lighter rig, maybe 1.5" for a heavier rig? I haven't followed any threads on that lift, but shouldn't be hard to find some threads with actual heights received and make a semi-educated guess.

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-26-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might barely clear with 33's and that 1x4 removed, assuming the rig doesn't go higher than actual 2", most 2.5" lifts will get you as high as 3.5-4" without weight, lol, first application where i see such a thing , so you might not want to get anything higher than 1.5" advertised lift. Is it too complicated to leave the Jeep out of the garage ? that way you won't limit yourself to all the options.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Just do some quick addition.

Current 32's measure 31", new 35's measure 34". 3" difference in tire height, so the jeep goes up 1.5". If you don't already have the tires, find some threads on that tire/size and see if anyone posted actual height numbers - don't just use the mfg's spec - the actual mounted height under the jeep could be an inch or more shorter than the spec.

TF performance leveling kit is 2" front, correct? But it is coils, so that could be 2.5" for a lighter rig, maybe 1.5" for a heavier rig? I haven't followed any threads on that lift, but shouldn't be hard to find some threads with actual heights received and make a semi-educated guess.
Been looking through the 33" and 35" tire threads in the show n tell forum, but haven't found anything yet for 18" wheels. But your answer gives me a better idea. Thanks.

And yea, that's 2" up front and 1" in the back for the TF leveling kit but there's also the spring-type leveling kit. Not sure which one I want yet.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rsmwrangler
You might barely clear with 33's and that 1x4 removed, assuming the rig doesn't go higher than actual 2", most 2.5" lifts will get you as high as 3.5-4" without weight, lol, first application where i see such a thing , so you might not want to get anything higher than 1.5" advertised lift. Is it too complicated to leave the Jeep out of the garage ? that way you won't limit yourself to all the options.
Don't necessarily want a lift, just a leveling kit that will fix the rake. I could leave the Jeep out of the garage, but would like to park it in there when it's topless in the summer and when I take the hard top off.

I guess if it doesn't fit with 35s, then I could build one of those hardtop benches to slide the hard top off myself - seen a thread on it. I already cracked one of my tail lights taking it off myself last year without that bench thing. And my garage and shed is chocked full of stuff already, so it would be another thing to store somewhere.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to build another garage, or move. ;-)
Old 10-27-2015, 11:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the normal style paneled garage door and that will give you clearance the same height as the header. Really wouldn't cost much to swap it out.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

[attach=config]628599[/attach]

+

[attach=config]628600[/attach]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tire_deflators.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	628599   Click image for larger version

Name:	powertank.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	628600  
Old 10-27-2015, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'll give some insight here, that TF coil kit isn't a crazy full height kit. I recently sold mine because even with my taller tires (on a 2dr), I sat lower than a 4dr HR Rubi with 17/58's and stock rubi tires.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hair2831
You need to build another garage, or move. ;-)
Originally Posted by nthinuf
[attach=config]628599[/attach]

+

[attach=config]628600[/attach]

LOL . Appreciate the humor

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Get the normal style paneled garage door and that will give you clearance the same height as the header. Really wouldn't cost much to swap it out.
Originally Posted by karls10jk
I'll give some insight here, that TF coil kit isn't a crazy full height kit. I recently sold mine because even with my taller tires (on a 2dr), I sat lower than a 4dr HR Rubi with 17/58's and stock rubi tires.
Sounds like I'll be ok then. Didn't know about the garage door. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Garage door 75.75" tall, would 35" tires / TF leveling kit still let me in?