Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

G2 gear problems

Old 04-29-2014, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G2 gear problems

My jeep is in the shop for rear end diff wine/ noise. I have about 13,000 miles on them. They were installed by 4WP and luckily I bought their warranty.

Three days ago I started to notice a new wine when i was in half throttle, letting off the peddle or just starting to step on the peddle. Drained the diff oil and saw all sorts of metal flakes and chunks. I don't wheel hard, but do get dirty, no rock climbing or towing. Just a regular weekend trail rider/mud slinger. I did the proper 500 mile easy break-in and even had 4WP change the diff oil so I could have it documented.

4WP said the rear is fried and will replace all parts for FREE under their warranty including labor. (being shipped to Florida from California)

Big props to 4WP and them standing behind their warranty.

I am very disappointed in G2 gears.

Anyone else had any problems with failed G2 brand gears?
Old 04-29-2014, 12:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ER NURSE 407
My jeep is in the shop for rear end diff wine/ noise. I have about 13,000 miles on them. They were installed by 4WP and luckily I bought their warranty.

Three days ago I started to notice a new wine when i was in half throttle, letting off the peddle or just starting to step on the peddle. Drained the diff oil and saw all sorts of metal flakes and chunks. I don't wheel hard, but do get dirty, no rock climbing or towing. Just a regular weekend trail rider/mud slinger. I did the proper 500 mile easy break-in and even had 4WP change the diff oil so I could have it documented.

4WP said the rear is fried and will replace all parts for FREE under their warranty including labor. (being shipped to Florida from California)

Big props to 4WP and them standing behind their warranty.

I am very disappointed in G2 gears.

Anyone else had any problems with failed G2 brand gears?
I got the same deal with 4WP installing mine in Colorado Springs. 3yr warranty on mine with install.
No problem for the G2 gears for me after about 3-4K miles on them, but mine is a weekend warrior. I got mine late last year. Good to see they are taking care of you.

Did the break in and changed the diff oil myself. I saw G2 at MOAB and they seemed like a good set of guys. Lets hope this is an isolated incident.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:02 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I am more inclined to believe that the 4wp installer F'D up than that the gears were bad. But it is good to know that they will honor the warranty that you paid so much extra for.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's wasn't that much compared to the whole price for gears ARB lockers and and on board air. It seamed like a good idea at the time to buy the warranty and it sure a $h!T paid for it's self and then some. Just hope this isn't going to be a once a year fix due to the quality of the gears.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthinuf
i am more inclined to believe that the 4wp installer f'd up than that the gears were bad. But it is good to know that they will honor the warranty that you paid so much extra for.
^^ x2 .......
Old 04-29-2014, 04:30 PM
JK Freak

My g2 gears have been fine for about 13-14k miles. I did not have them installed by 4wp.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've run G2 gears for about 20k miles no problems. I've wheeled it hard as well. Lots of rock crawling, water, mud, etc. Never an issue. I've been running Royal Purple from the beginning and change the diff oil twice so far. No shavings. Actually, I had more coming out of my trans than I did the diffs when I serviced everything in Feb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-29-2014, 04:32 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Just hope this isn't going to be a once a year fix due to the quality of the gears.
I think you missed the point. If the gears are not installed properly, it doesn't matter what company has their name stamped on the box. The odds are very good that you had all the metal shavings in your diff because the installer messed up, not because the box said G2 instead of Yukon.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
I am more inclined to believe that the 4wp installer F'D up than that the gears were bad. But it is good to know that they will honor the warranty that you paid so much extra for.
x100000000

I wouldn't smear G2's name because 4WP has been known to f*ck up a lot of installs in the past.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:48 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4WP sucks balls. I won't even purchase parts from those idiots. The independent shop I went to stands behind their work and gives a warranty with no extra charge for gears.

Last edited by Ncb; 04-29-2014 at 04:51 PM.

Quick Reply: G2 gear problems