Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

FYI Mickey Thompson MTZs=Horrible

Old 04-25-2008, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Mickey Thompson MTZ 33". I have vibrations at 60-70 MPH also but I dont think the tire's are the problem. I have even put the OE wheels back on to troubleshoot and still get vibes at 60-70 MPH. I have checked everything else (including my trackbars) and I'm assuming the issue is with the rear driveshaft on my 2-door JK.

I have a 2.5" BB lift and even though some say the rear driveshaft on a two-door JK is safe with the 2.5 BB, Im starting to think otherwise!
Old 04-25-2008, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think a got a bad batch but I could be wrong. I think I'll try and swap out another set and go for a ride I see if anything changes. Just have to find a spare set I can borrow now. Anyone in the clearwater Fl area where I can borrow a set of tires for a couple hours?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was thinking it could be the rim is too narrow. I'm running them on the stock wheels which I think are only 7". But I won't know until I get a new set of rims. I was looking at some 16x10s. Will this be too wide?? I would like the tire to look a little fatter which this would do. I also read wider rims are better for the ride on road. Of course there is the debate they don't hold the bead as well but I think they'll do fine as long as I don't go too low.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

try centrimatic balancers they do work and are worth every penny
Old 04-25-2008, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Abesonite
I was thinking it could be the rim is too narrow. I'm running them on the stock wheels which I think are only 7". But I won't know until I get a new set of rims. I was looking at some 16x10s. Will this be too wide?? I would like the tire to look a little fatter which this would do. I also read wider rims are better for the ride on road. Of course there is the debate they don't hold the bead as well but I think they'll do fine as long as I don't go too low.
I'm surprised your tire shop would mount a 315 on a 7" wide rim. I was looking at the MT site for specs and they recommend a 8-10" rim for a tire that wide.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running 315/70/R17 for 22k miles now. Only had them balanced once. I rotate them myself every 3k. They have been from Vegas to Key West, St. Louis and SLC. Not one problem. I even purchased them from a vendor at Easter Safari In 07. They are mounted on Stock wheels. I will purchase another set once these are worn!! They are wearing excellent! If anybody is thinking of these tires, I would buy them in a heart beat!!
Old 04-25-2008, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RuBob
stock wheels are 7.5" wide and I believe many people here run a 12.5" width tire on those rims. it's a little on the narrow side, but i doubt it is your issue.
The stock 16" wheels (steel or alloy) are only 7" wide. I know I have them.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yea I'm pretty sure mine are 7".
Old 04-26-2008, 09:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well whatever the problem is it's a real pain. I think I found a shop that trues tires. So that is the next step and them get them balanced again. If those don't work then it's pretty safe to say something else is causing the vibration.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I love my MTZs, they are best tyre I have owned, can't fault them.

Quick Reply: FYI Mickey Thompson MTZs=Horrible