Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

future mods vs mpg

Old 07-27-2013, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3mpg improvement for 8, 000 miles a year is like $200 savings. Dosent seem like you will ever break even money wise to offset the costs of your mods. Building a high mpg jeep seems like a money pit. Driving habits and dropping excess weight is the best result for the money. Staying under 65mph gives good results also.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have really never understood the concept of trying to get "max" fuel economy with a Jeep. Nothing against the OP and his endeavors as I wish you the greatest luck in what you are going for. However, the truth remains that you inherit a certain amount of truths by owning a Jeep. Over time, weight and mods you increase your expenditure of real fuel savings. I don't think the guys at Mopar start out with the idea of " how can we make this drink more fuel" when designing their vehicles. Ingenuity is great but how much spent vs how much saved is really the overall effect. Again I think it is great that you are trying to do this but at what cost?

My 2007 was a beast on gas. I never felt like I was getting what I should have been in MPG. I traded it for the 2013 - night and day difference. I have better fuel economy with heavier weight and the ECO range helps a bit as well IMO. I know everyone can't just run to the dealership and get a new Jeep - but it might be worth using mod/conversion money to get the 3.6 which has better MPG and performs better than the 3.8. Just my two cents.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:46 PM
JK Freak

If your worried about MPG don't MOD your jeep.

Just saying with everything comes a price.

Sent from my i5 using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2013, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by kh202

20 mpg city is a tall task. Are those hand calced numbers or what the dash says? All these mpg improvements really are a little trumped by the fact that we drive a square flat grill, flat windshield jeep, with no aerodynamics. My opinion, the possible gas savings will never really match the money you put into all that stuff. But I could be wrong
X2. Very unlikely. Probably need to look at a different vehicle if those numbers are that important to you.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbry311
Dude, if you're getting 19 city and 25 highway you should be stoked! The only way you're going to increase your gas mileage more is to get a new vehicle. I'd shit myself if I got that kind of gas mileage.
Holy shit ^^ this comment is hilarious. Same here in that I would shit myself if I got that kind of mileage. I gotta be straight with ya bro. You drive a jeep. It's a box with tires. Give up on MPG.

Sent from grenade range
The following users liked this post:
ebrand (03-16-2020)
Old 07-27-2013, 07:41 PM
JK Newbie

I only get 13-14 in the city. Must be the way I drive, because it is almost stock. My long ass V8 DD gets better mileage. Be happy with what you got so far.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:35 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SpoonJK
Adding a chip such as super chip won't improve mileage? My future add ons are getting my jeep chipped and possibly a new muffler.

Also heard good things about getting a better throttle spacer as well.
Throttle body spacer won't do crap. It only helps on carbureted engines
Old 07-29-2013, 01:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Try running against the wind with a huge flat piece of plywood and tell me if thats easy.

Take that and apply that to the Jeep. Jeeps are designed for the trail not for going 65 MPH down the interstate. With all the mods to increase MPG you could just buy a 92 GEO metro for 3K get 35 MPG and be done.

Even the article I posted about weight reduction says its not really cost effective. The only reason the racers do it is because they have a HP and Torque cap on their cars. Its cheaper just to add power instead of making a Machine more fuel efficient.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 13 rubicon, run 35s and 4.10 gears. i get about 14 city and 19 highway. I wish it got better MPG but that wasnt ever really a factor tho, im adding another few hundred pounds to my jeep in the next few weeks. Armor is heavy good luck with the mall crawling
Old 07-30-2013, 02:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

MPG's interest me as well.

Best things you can do are to drive carefully and keep your air at 40. Gains from air filters etc are at best controversial.

Quick Reply: future mods vs mpg