Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Future mods & regearing questions

Old 05-26-2009, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future mods & regearing questions

I have been going through the posts about tires and regearing and getting a basic understanding of whats going on but would like some answers to some specific questions.

But first here is what I have, what I want to do and whats on order

08 Sahara 2Dr Auto 3:21 ratio, Stock tires, I want a aggressive look, capable of some off roading, light - med trails, mud etc to get me in and out of remote campsites and fishing holes and not need to worry about it.

I have on order 2" Spacer lift ( considering a 2.5 BB w/ shocks instead) , 1.5" Wheel Spacers and 305 60 18 BFG KM2's (33").

Questions:

If I change to 35" tires how much of a dog will the Jeep run? Do I have to regear?

Can I maintain 65-75 HW speeds on 35's and 3.21 ?

Can I add trailer hardware and haul a small equipment trailer like a tentrax? without regearing?

If I do regear what is the recommended gear ratio to go with?

How much does regearing cost?

Thanks!

Last edited by osros; 05-26-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Real doggy....you never HAVE to regrear but I would.....No Way with 3.21's and an auto...Haul a trailor with 35's and 3.21's? GOOD LUCK!.....Auto 5.13's, manual 4.88's...Gears + install around $1400.........There I think I answered them all. These answers are my opinion only and may not be flamed for any reason.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by funtimes
Real doggy....you never HAVE to regrear but I would.....No Way with 3.21's and an auto...Haul a trailor with 35's and 3.21's? GOOD LUCK!.....Auto 5.13's, manual 4.88's...Gears + install around $1400.........There I think I answered them all. These answers are my opinion only and may not be flamed for any reason.
yea preatty much!!!
Old 07-10-2009, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok I got my new wheels and tires 33" and noticed a drop in MPG from 16-18mpg to 14mpg.

At some point I may want to regear or reprogram Im not sure what I need to do to get back the stock MPG. I do want to haul a trailer in the future so i imagine it will get worse if I do nothing.

I have a 3.73 Auto 2Dr. with 33" now and a possiblity of 35" later on what regear should I be looking for if I stay with 33" and what should I go with if I plan on 35" later to regear once.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Read the Thread "Performance Mod or Regear". IT has "ALL" the answers to your questions and MORE. Keep in mind YOU OWN AN AUTOMATIC...... You want at least 513..... 488 are too high for automatic.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beadbus
Read the Thread "Performance Mod or Regear". IT has "ALL" the answers to your questions and MORE. Keep in mind YOU OWN AN AUTOMATIC...... You want at least 513..... 488 are too high for automatic.
I read the thread and I do understand regearing is the way to go and a Auto with 35" tries should go with 5.13 gears.

Im left with one last concern. If I stay with 33" tires what would be the best gears for it? And if I go with 5.13 with 33" what effects can I expect MPG, RPM etc.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by osros
I read the thread and I do understand regearing is the way to go and a Auto with 35" tries should go with 5.13 gears.

Im left with one last concern. If I stay with 33" tires what would be the best gears for it? And if I go with 5.13 with 33" what effects can I expect MPG, RPM etc.
Just out of curiosity, did you adjust your speedo after going to 33's? If not, your mpg reading is not accurate and MAY be part of your issue.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepDawg
Just out of curiosity, did you adjust your speedo after going to 33's? If not, your mpg reading is not accurate and MAY be part of your issue.
Nail on the head. I did not, will look into that Thanks!
Old 07-12-2009, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had the dealership program the tire size. They seem to only have a fixed amount of tire sizes to choice from and went with the highest they had which was not what I have on the jeep, however it did go from 2mph off to about 1+/- mph, close but not perfect.

It seems good enough for now. The MPG got better from 13mpg to 14.9mpg at highway.

Quick Reply: Future mods & regearing questions