Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

funny but scary noises?

Old 12-15-2007, 03:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default funny but scary noises?

OKay so I got my new suspension kit (4.5: Long Arm by RE) new driveshafts, slip yoke case? , adjustable rear track bar bracket, 17x8 wheels and 35x12.50 tires ..

since i picked up it the accerating is diffucult. I was told its expected to have that happen.

BUT ... the weird thing and the scary noises. It knocks/vibrates when I accelerate or slow down to a too low of speed in like 3rd or 2nd gear. When I am feathering the cluth and gas in town ...

it also sounds like its rubbing when I go around corners which may be my tires rubbing .. not too worried about that sound.

Its the knocking/vibrating sound ... it sounds like the engie is gonna fall out!

Any ideasanyone? I am taking it in tuesday just to get it checked real quick....
Old 12-15-2007, 04:10 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have 35's on the stock rims or rims with the wrong backspace, the tires are definatly rubbing, if it's knocking when you slow down, your in to high of a gear for that speed. Re- gearing would probably help you out, or learn how to shift and use the clutch alittle differently.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:38 PM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time to regear the axles to 4.88 or 5.13 especially if you're still running the stock 3.21 or 3.73 ratio in your X!! My guess is you're running 3.21 gears with those new 35" tires - all that knocking and jumping is your engine and clutch talking to you. They're trying to tell you that if you don't correct the inverse relationship between large tires and small gears it will get expensive in a hurry. The shop that did the install didn't do you any favors. They sold you the look you wanted but not the hardware necessary to make it all work together properly.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:51 PM
JK Jedi Master

I'm waitin for those 5.36's to come out before I regear, I have 4.10's w/35's and it's bearable but I wanna go 37's in the future. Some of the guys on here have 35's on a 2dr w/3.21's and 3.73's with a manuel and say it's livable. I think more guys on here have more experience driving standards,and can adjust a little to it. If this is her first time driving a stick she may have to learn a little more, but yes she should re-gear anyway. Hope her hubby's rich cause she's sockin it to him with the jeep bills(awww, she's probably worth it )
Old 12-15-2007, 06:19 PM
JK Freak

I got the right backspacing. The shop said 3.34 to 4.5 " backspacing. I got 4" backspacing .. and I have 17x8 rims (what my stock is too) ... the wheels are 35x12.50s

I am running 3.73s .... want to go up to 5.13s .. gotta convince the hubby. Yes the shop sold me what I wanted. I wanted it for wheeling though mostly. Every where I ahve gone, I get stuck caues I didn't have enough clearance for ANYTHING. They will (my friend owns the shop) do my gearing when it comes time. He would have but I spent too much money at once ... so I have to wait a month or so .. probably sooner since its doig what its doing ...

I hae driven manuals since I was 17. I prefer over automatic actually.

I am trying to learn a new clutching and accelration technique .. just nothing really is working ... unless I am in 1st go to second immediately then third immediatly after I get into 2nd. 4th is good enough for the highways BUT!!!!! I am running at about 2800 RPMs at 50 mph ... ahhh

my husband thought itsounds like the motor mount when he drove it .... so hopefully nothing to serious and regearing won't cost a "surgery and more"
Old 12-15-2007, 06:23 PM
JK Freak

as for us being rich .. noo ... far from it.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:19 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mkjeep
...or learn how to shift and use the clutch alittle differently.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jkgirl08
it also sounds like its rubbing when I go around corners which may be my tires rubbing .. not too worried about that sound.

Its the knocking/vibrating sound ... it sounds like the engie is gonna fall out!

Are you sure the ESP isn't activating? You shouldn't have any tire rubbing, especially on the street, w/ a 4.5" lift and 35's. It'll make that rubbing/vibrating sound and scare the hell out of ya. Mine did that after the B.B. install until I got the steering whell centered perfectly.

The next time it does it, look at your instrument panel. If you see a little Jeep symbol with squiggley lines, it's the ESP. If it is, recheck everything with the lift install, starting with the centering of the steering wheel.

Last edited by 2K1TJ; 12-16-2007 at 06:08 AM.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:26 AM
JK Freak

I will check .. I don't think its coming on cause it usally makes a dinging sound too ....

but I will check today when I go tou
Old 12-16-2007, 10:29 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by jkgirl08
as for us being rich .. noo ... far from it.
Uh, just dropped 5 grand into your jeep and only have to wait a month before dropping more into it. And plan on gettin 37's for the summer. Not rich, hmmmm, really good credit then, for now

Quick Reply: funny but scary noises?