Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fun: My Jeep's making me a mechanic!

Old 03-03-2007, 09:14 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
Well, I got the oil changes for life as part of a deeply-discounted 7 year Chrysler extended warranty package that I purchased - the dealership "lost" my Jeep while it was in transit from the factory, and had to make it up to me somehow! So, as part of that warranty package, I get free oil changes every 3K (except for the first one: I demanded that they be willing to change the oil around 1,000 miles for break-in purposes).
The first one should be done when the manual recommends it, not sooner. The factory adds an additive that aids in the break in. It will be better to do it when recommended. I read that on the forum a while ago. Hope that helps.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubimon
The first one should be done when the manual recommends it, not sooner. The factory adds an additive that aids in the break in. It will be better to do it when recommended. I read that on the forum a while ago. Hope that helps.
My dealer is giving me my first oil change free and they told me to schedule it at 1000 miles. I will double check my owner's manual next time I head outside.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default oil change

Originally Posted by Rubimon
I'd really like to know what it is they supposedly add.
Personaly I think it's Snake Oil myself, or maybe powdered toad skin

Hey there MJS,
Good job with the CAI
Great to hear that things are progressing nicely for you now that you have your rig.
Something tells me you'll have that sucker up on 33's or 35's in no time
Old 03-04-2007, 09:16 AM
JK Freak

Robar said it the best> same here.....
Congrats on your intake. It is always more fun to do your own work and gives a greater sense of accomplishment, pride, and bragging rights.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:21 AM
JK Freak

i 2nd that throttle body spacer inquiry. let's hear about it! i'd like to do that and the intake at the same time if at all possible. is a stainless steel catback better than an aluminized one? magnaflow or gibson? and as much as i want to learn all this stuff on my own, i'll also probably have a shop do the exhaust for me.

btw, gj @ doing your own work MJS
Old 03-04-2007, 01:40 PM
JK Junkie

Just a follow-up response, regarding the infamous "whistle" sound from a CAI - I haven't heard it at all. I also haven't been up to highway speed with it yet - just tooling around town (top speed ~45 mph), and a little very minor offroading, on what used to be a schoolyard (got torn down last year or year before, and there's just way too much mud and dirt piles to NOT use it!)

The nearest I can describe any sort of "whistling" that I may have: now, when I'm a bit heavy on the throttle, it sounds like a gentle turbo spooling up, or a supercharger about to crank out some HP.... no "high-pitched whine" or anything like that, just a much throatier sound than the stock airbox/filter, mixed with a touch of "air-whirl" sound, if that means anything to you... very far from what I would call a whistle... I was thinking it'd sound like tightly-strung fishing line on a pole, held out of the vehicle's window at high speed (that's the worst whistling sound I've personally experienced in a vehicle, and I was the cause of it!).

So far, I'm really happy with the increased throttle response, and my onboard CPU is showing an instant 2 mpg gain (all the way up to 18! - although we all know how accurate that mileage computer is). Maybe I'll do better than 14 mpg this tank!
Old 03-04-2007, 05:00 PM
JK Jedi

Any other whistles could be the ladies! You need to worry when your wife is hearing them when she drives but you are not!

Quick Reply: Fun: My Jeep's making me a mechanic!