Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Full vs. Shorty Front Bumper

Old 03-05-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Full vs. Shorty Front Bumper

I'm trying to decide between full and shorty front bumper and have listed what I can see as the pros and cons of each. Am I missing anything? Is there really that much advantage--protection wise--to having a full front bumper?

Full
+ Looks better with factory fenders.
+ Offers impact protection versus hitting something with your front tires.
+ Necessary to pass inspection in some states.
- Heavier, in some cases much heavier.
- $Pricier$.
- Not as many options.
- Can interfere with approach angles of front tires.

Shorty
+ Lighter.
+ Better approach angles.
+ Lots and lots of affordable options.
+ Looks mean.
- Less protection in accidents.
- May not pass inspection in all states.

PS -- I know there are discussions about this floating around other threads, but I couldn't find one dedicated to the subject.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a shorty now, and I'll be switching to a Fabfours full width front soon. The shorty is fine, but I just want better front end protection. There have been a few times I've almost ripped off the fronts wheels on the trails cause I slide in to a tree or something. And I also want the ability to run over saplings without damaging the fenders, etc...
Old 03-05-2010, 08:50 AM
JK Freak

Not protecting the fenders is the biggest downfall that I have to deal with. I have had trees nearly rip off my fenders because I have a shorty
Old 03-05-2010, 08:58 AM
JK Newbie

i went with the shorty because i didnt care for the mud that got caked up on the full width bumper
Old 03-05-2010, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went shorty. Just like the look better. I haven't had any issues with the fenders getting bashed in the trees
Old 03-05-2010, 10:33 AM
JK Super Freak

I went shorty as well. I was concerned with weight as well as approach angles. Someone also mentioned the cleanup with a full width. I had a Warn on my YJ and yes it was a pain.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went with the RR XHD. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. The approach angles and versatility it gives you are out of this world. Protection hasn't been an issue for me as of yet, but you can order the endcaps if it becomes an issue later, or to get it inspected in other states.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

i went with red rock fab front shorty and still like my decision.

The outer front most portion of the stock bumper was getting mangled by obstacles on tight trails that is why i decided on a shorty. I havent had any problems with protecting the fenders using a shorty. i can usually get the jeep straightened out by the time the fenders near the obstacle. Maybe it was just bad driving?

I also thought it was important to find a front bumper that kept good a good aproach angle. So that is why i chose a bumper were the winch was mounted on top of the bumper. The bumpers were the winch sits down inside the bumper seems to rob good aproach angles by having the bumper stick out to far from the grill.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

How about a compromise... mid-width! Enough to keep a tree off the body, but still good angles. There are many other ways to rip off a fender anyway, a wide bumper won't protect against all of them.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by noot
How about a compromise... mid-width! Enough to keep a tree off the body, but still good angles. There are many other ways to rip off a fender anyway, a wide bumper won't protect against all of them.
Actually, that Hanson mid-width is looking mighty sweet right now. My biggest complaint about the full bumpers is weight. I realize the Wrangler an off-road vehicle, but most of my driving is still done on the road. Adding a ton of wight at the far front corners of the vehicle sounds like something to be avoided if possible.

Quick Reply: Full vs. Shorty Front Bumper