Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Full Traction Trackbars

Old 07-27-2009, 01:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Traction Trackbars

Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with there front trackbar. It seems as though no matter how tight I tighten the jam nut there is still a little play in the threads. I am pretty sure this is the clunk in my front end I have been looking for

Anyone else experience this?
Old 07-29-2009, 12:00 PM
JK Junkie

Ok so Ipulled the trackbar out yesterday to see what is moving. What I found is that the ball in the heim joint has a bit of play in the socket.

Do I have to replace it or is there a way to fix it?
Old 07-29-2009, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I had the same problem (front TB) and this grind a little bit of metal out of the frame bracket. So what I did, I ask a friend of mine to weld 2 nuts (each side), which I drill to perfectly match the bolt size , obviously it wallow the holes...

On top of it my TB is about 0.4--0.5'''' too long to centre perfectly my front axle, so I ended up by ordering a Currie TB (should receive it next week).
Old 07-29-2009, 02:11 PM
JK Junkie

I dont know what you are saying other than you are getting a new one
Old 07-29-2009, 02:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by john smack
I dont know what you are saying other than you are getting a new one
hahahahahaha. Classic response. Sorry, I have no experience with a trackbar in general, yet. I have no idea what he's saying either except that he got fed up and decided to just order a new one from a different manufacturer. Look into JKS if you can't fix this problem.

One thing you can do is look into thread locking adhesives if you continue to have play with the trackbar nut. Once you get the length you want, apply some adhesive to the outside of the nut where it contacts the thread. Or, if you can entirely remove the nut, see if you can replace it with a locking nut.

Good luck!
Old 07-29-2009, 02:41 PM
JK Junkie

the heim joint itself seems to have the play,
Old 07-29-2009, 02:48 PM
JK Super Freak

you mean this http://www.wooders.com.au/images/QA1EXML12.jpg the joint that connects the trackbar to the frame of the Jeep?
Old 07-29-2009, 02:56 PM
JK Super Freak

As long as that pivotal piece is not popping then I would not worry. You want that piece to have play because when you flex while offroading, you want the trackbar to move with the flex.

What you can do is buy two flat washers ( http://www.cnhuaqi.com.cn/pic/200773153616813.jpg ). Put one between the bolt head and the frame, and put one between the heim joint and the nut. That will ensure that ball does not pop out of the trackbar. Make sense?
Old 07-29-2009, 03:03 PM
JK Junkie

yeah that... the ball inside moves a bit in the socket, I am not worried about the ball falling out but the clunk feeling I get when turning and hitting a bump. you can get under the jeep and push and pull on the track bar and feel the play, at first I thought it was comming from the threads so i thought the jam nut loosend off but now that I took it out and really looked at it there seems to be play in the heim. I put grease in it all over and that calmed the clunk down for a bit but it is slowly comming back.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Hmm

I don't know what else to tell you. For the ball itself to be "clunking" around the joint does sound a bit discomforting.

Last question, sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here, but none of the "clunking" is coming from perhaps the factory nut that keeps in place the trackbar to the frame being too thin, is it? That perhaps the aftermarket trackbar opening is wider than the OEM factory trackbar joint opening, which means the factory nut is too thin for the full traction trackbars joint.

Becuase if so, getting a thicker nut, even if you have to mallet hammer the thing in + a little grease would keep that clunking from happening -- some drilling may be required to open the Jeep frame hole though.

Quick Reply: Full Traction Trackbars