Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Full Traction Short vs Long arm??

Old 11-27-2011, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Full Traction Short vs Long arm??

After 6 months of reading forums and memorizing catalogs, part numbers and websites I have finally decided on Full Traction. That being said I have narrowed it down to two of their kits.

4" Ultimate

or

4" Long arm

I want to run 37" tires and both of these will get me where I want to be. So I guess the question is;

Is the long arm kit worth it? Does it peform that much better?

The $800 price difference isn't the deciding factor for me, its the switching to long arms and the added effort to install.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ludski
long arms will give you more flex. and a better ride. and will help with the driveshaft angles.
which leads me to the next part,
be sure to upgrade your driveshaft with a 4". youre 90% likely to break it.
Thanks for the quick reply! Never thought about the drive shaft angles. I have a couple Coast drive shafts in my sights. They are the bolt on for 3" to 6" of lift.

I also have been looking at the Evo flip kit or the Full Traction steering correction instead of just a dropped pitman arm. I think its the removal of the stock control arm connection points that has me un-easy.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:23 AM
JK Super Freak

The long arm will mostly benefit in greater on road quality. My short arm kit has 11" of front and rear travel. The ammount of flex you have comes from the length of your shocks and bump stops. The stock JK arms are quite long for a short arm, so if you want a better road quality then go with the LA. I have been running my 4" Currie kit with all the fully adjustable arms for 11 months and my front drive shaft is still going strong! It all depends on how you adjust your control arms that affects your drive shaft life. Now with the 11" of front travel, my drive shaft boot will contact the exhaust cross over pipe at full droop. The long arm will have nothing to do with your drive shaft angle. The long arm will offer a better ride on and off road and can offer more flex and travel if you get the right shocks.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. 11" of travel! Ill make sure I ask the right shock questions when I place my order. Thanks

Any idea how much travel bone stock?
Old 11-27-2011, 06:11 PM
JK Super Freak

No idea how much the stock travel is. Someone on here knows im sure. If you get either Full Traction kit the shocks they sell are designed for their kit. They wont give you too much or not enough flex.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:16 PM
JK Freak

Are you planning on installing the kit yourself? Or having somebody else do it? I want to get the FT LA kit....so you should get it before me. So I can use you as a guinea pig.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jsears
Are you planning on installing the kit yourself? Or having somebody else do it? I want to get the FT LA kit....so you should get it before me. So I can use you as a guinea pig.
I am planning on doing the lift myself. I am starting to tool up but man it seems like a big step to remove the factory brackets and just go for it! I was hoping to hear from a few people running the kit to see if it really is worth it and also if it was a war to install.

Ever hear a guinea pig scream when you rub its hair backwards?
Old 11-27-2011, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was up between 2 kits FT and Teraflex when I bought my kit. I like FT products both kits are top quality. I have 2 guys I wheel with and one has the FT add on LA kit with the SRS bushings on 3 inch FT springs and his brother with the 3" premium plus. Both kits identical but arm length. Shocks and all, the LA kit rides smoother at speed on and off road. We installed it in a good day (10 hours) with normal tools, no special torches or lift. Grinder works great with a lot of patience. Good luck, my vote is do it once and do it right. go long arm
Old 11-27-2011, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mjones
I was up between 2 kits FT and Teraflex when I bought my kit. I like FT products both kits are top quality. I have 2 guys I wheel with and one has the FT add on LA kit with the SRS bushings on 3 inch FT springs and his brother with the 3" premium plus. Both kits identical but arm length. Shocks and all, the LA kit rides smoother at speed on and off road. We installed it in a good day (10 hours) with normal tools, no special torches or lift. Grinder works great with a lot of patience. Good luck, my vote is do it once and do it right. go long arm
Thanks for the feedback! I think I will go LA after all.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go long and you will be a happy camper.

Check this video out!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRjK9...feature=relmfu

Last edited by RKracing; 11-27-2011 at 08:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Full Traction Short vs Long arm??