Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Full traction Long arm and Treks skids?

Old 01-05-2010, 01:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full traction Long arm and Treks skids?

I currently have a Full traction short arm lift and I'm trying to resist going to long arm, but Im not sure how long I can do that.

the issue is...
I have the treks full skid setup and I know the Full traction long arm requires a new cross member and Im not sure if the two will work together.
I know treks offers a long arm kit as well, but I dont want a radius arm setup.

just curious if anyone is running this combo.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Not Treks, but my Rock hards do not fit.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:36 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

the full traction long arm kit requires you to cut the forward lip of the gas tank skid and i would imagine you would need to do at least that much with your existing skids. the other skids should bolt up to the cross member just like factory or, so i would imagine.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
the full traction long arm kit requires you to cut the forward lip of the gas tank skid and i would imagine you would need to do at least that much with your existing skids. the other skids should bolt up to the cross member just like factory or, so i would imagine.
Do you have a pic of said cut? also a front shot of the new cross member would help. I tried searching and not alot comes up, The install thread had 63 pages of pics and I didnt see anything there either that had a good photo of it.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:00 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by stangjeeper
Do you have a pic of said cut? also a front shot of the new cross member would help. I tried searching and not alot comes up, The install thread had 63 pages of pics and I didnt see anything there either that had a good photo of it.
basically, the forward lip of the factory skid is attached to the cross member using 2 bolts. about 4" of that forward lip is cut off in a straight line and 2 new holes need to be drilled in the skid to bolt up to the cross member. i see no reason why you can't do this with what you have now. here are a couple of pics that i just took with my phone....

the 4 smaller bolts are for my air compressor and are not needed for your purposes. also, there is normally a skid plate that goes over this cross member but, you may not need it for your purposes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1198[1].jpg
Views:	163
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	34970   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1199[1].jpg
Views:	169
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	34971  
Old 01-05-2010, 10:01 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a pic of what was cut:

Old 01-05-2010, 10:26 PM
JK Freak

Thanks those photos help alot.I think Im going to have to look into other long arm kits as the the way the treks skid interlock together, Id have to cut away in so many places, Im afraid it weaken the mounts for the skids to the point of failure. But I need to do some more research first before I totally rule them out. ahh the fun just never ends....
Old 01-06-2010, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stangjeeper
Thanks those photos help alot.I think Im going to have to look into other long arm kits as the the way the treks skid interlock together, Id have to cut away in so many places, Im afraid it weaken the mounts for the skids to the point of failure. But I need to do some more research first before I totally rule them out. ahh the fun just never ends....
YUP.... that's why they call it "CUSTOM"

No skids on mine yet; but I sure do love the kit. Rides better than stock; performs great off road; and no spring sag since Aug 09 install. I'll subscribe, to monitor your efforts. BK
Old 01-06-2010, 08:21 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by yelorubi-EVA
No skids on mine yet; but I sure do love the kit. Rides better than stock; performs great off road; and no spring sag since Aug 09 install. I'll subscribe, to monitor your efforts. BK
ah, you don't need skids as the factory ones are just fine - trust me on this one
Old 01-06-2010, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
ah, you don't need skids as the factory ones are just fine - trust me on this one
Thanks Eddie.

FYI, I already managed to slightly dent the trans pan while traversing the rock garden in Big Bear. I definitely need some help there. BK

Quick Reply: Full traction Long arm and Treks skids?