Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Full Traction 2" econo lift installed

Old 06-07-2009, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Traction 2" econo lift installed

After some discussion on my other thread I did the install this weekend. Wasn't to bad for someone like me with zero previous experience installing lifts. Although the project-jk site is largely the reason for accomplishing the install. The paper instructions with the kit where severely lacking for a noob like me and it seemed like the write assumed the installer already pretty much knew what they where doing. I did not install the track bar relocation bracket per MANY suggests here on the forum. I took it out for a drive and it does kinda feel different but seems to handle just fine still. I was hearing a whistling noise but I think it may be due to the new angle of either the soft top lip or the front plastic skid thingy.

Working on the front end, up on the jacks and wheels removed:

Front spacer, spring, and bump stop installed. I had to use a nut on one of the bump stop bolts since somehow the hole I drilled was to large and the bolt wiggled in place. Also worth noting it states online as well as in the kit packaging that these bump stops are aluminum but in fact they are the same plastic material as the lift spacers:

Front completed:

Rear lift spacer and spring installed:

Rear aluminum bump stop installed:

Lift completed, stock wheels/tires:

Rear passenger side spacer lip bulging out some...cause for concern? Time will tell:

Thanks for looking!
Old 06-07-2009, 06:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats! Need some new meats now!
Old 06-07-2009, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would really like that, but probably won't happen until I "need" new tires or find someone getting rid of some rubicon tires for cheap. I do think I am going to get some wheel spacers now though.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scooter Scott
There is a thread on here somewhere of people stating what they wish they wouldn't have bought. One of them was the FT 2" econo lift. The reason that he stated was exactly what you have already noticed is that the spacer is buckling from the weight. His actually looks a lot worse. If you do a search you may find it...
There where at least 2 that had some real issues and they did chime in on another thread I started. I had already purchased the lift from Northridge and Dave told me he has sold a "ton" these FT econo kits...there are always going to be some that don't work out. I do agree though the quality feels cheap not to mention the bump stops are not aluminum anymore which to me seems like would be the most expensive part of the kit (alum parts in general).

I had a thought about the bulge this morning when I woke up... I'm going to take a look at it again tonight when I get home from work and see if it is any worse. The driver rear side looks pretty good so my thought is that maybe the passenger rear spring could be rotated so the force is more inward where it would be less likely to push out over the lip.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:22 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good luck with those rear spacers.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is there a "proper" orientation for the rear springs? I just find it odd that only one side is doing this. But again it could just be that only one spring is situated as such that one coil is pushing right on the edge of the spacer lip and also happens to be on the outer edge. The more I think about it the more I think turning the spring may help. Not looking forward to doing it all again but better one more time than try nothing at all and let it ruin the spacer.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:29 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's probably doing it more on one side due to the axle shift. Still, it looks a bit squishy to me. I'd get some better ones if it were me. My RE BB spacers are rock hard.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I looked at the rear spacers last night when I got home. I didn't make to many runs during the day but my drive to work and back each way is 35-40 miles. The spacer with the pushed lip didn't seem any worse but I'm driving pretty careful...letting things settle if that even happens. Dave at northridge said he took some of the photos and sent them on to Full Traction to see what they had to say about the rear spacers.

I do have to say that with the 2" lift and stock 17" rims with the SRA's doesn't look all that bad to me. I had thought it might look funny or out of place but each time I walk out to my jeep I think...that's awesome! I'm still going to get some spacers, and down the road 33's when I hopefully live closer to work.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

My friend bought the same econo lift and had the bulge problem.....the problem never got better,....took the lift off.......fought for a refund and did the Rough country 2.5 and likes it!
Old 06-09-2009, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like I am heading down that road...I checked the spacers again tonight after getting home. The noticeable passenger side rear is getting worse the driver side is bulging also I just couldn't see it before as its bulging a different direction.

At this point I in no way could recommend this kit to anyone. Maybe it will hold up, but at this point I feel like I have to check the status of the spacers at every stop. Hell I'm almost scared to drive the jeep at the moment...if those rear springs slip out going down the highway at 70 mph who knows what sort of situation I will be in.

I'm going to email Dave at Northridge right now and see what my options are, no sense in being scared of driving my own vehicle.

Quick Reply: Full Traction 2" econo lift installed