Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Full or Mid Front bumper advice

Old 02-04-2010, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full or Mid Front bumper advice

Can anyone describe the pros/cons of a mid width front bumper vs a full size bumper

I am deciding between LOD and Expedition one.

New to Jeep and would like to get some good advice

Lots of off roading, jeep trails, but not heavy rock crawling

Thanks
Old 02-04-2010, 02:24 PM
JK Freak

I went with a mid-width since it helps with approach angle, if you need to climb a waterfall or ledge you can angle up easier without hitting the bumper first. A stubby is actually the best for that. But I feel the mid-width also gives some protection if you were to take a hit up on the front corner or otherwise lean the jeep over. A full width is best for protection. So kinda of those to worlds combined equalled a mid-width for me.

Also, I really like the LoD bumpers but I didn't like that the stubby sticks out further, so again another poitn for mid-width. Alos, I plan on trimming my fenders one day and I think a full with cut or flat fenders looks goofy.

If you want protection for bashing against trees or orther vehicles then full is the way to go.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

What kind of wheeling are you doing?
If you have an unlimited the turn radius is already lacking and a full width bumper will limit you even more.

I have a 2 door and don't really do any rock crawling so I went with the full width for protection.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:00 PM
JK Newbie

I have 2 door, not much rock crawling just a lot of off roading.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:06 PM
JK Newbie

What lights did you go with, thats my next internet search, your jeep looks great, I am really leaning towards the LoD mid
Old 02-04-2010, 04:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ECHO
LOD Midwidth Love it... for all the things FlameRed said.. + you dont get all the mud from your front tires on the ends.. just alittle

I will add to Flame Red and Echo....if you don't have a rubi and have aftermarket quick Disco's it will be somewhat easier to disco your swaybar with a mid-width.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Stubby, and love it. I would have gotten a full width with stock flares because it looks like a factory combination.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

My shrockworks midwidth has saved me from hitting a lot of cars d-town when little civics box me in on the street

Although I am way more tempted to run over things I shouldn't because of the extra clearance vs. full width...like above mentioned civics...
Old 02-04-2010, 04:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say go with mid-width. The full width is technically safer if you were to ever get in an accident, but the extra clearance by the midwidth is nice.

A stubby is to much of a risk on the HWY for me personally. There is then nothing between that corner (where most head-on's hit) and you except for some very thin sheet metal.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:03 PM
JK Freak

As long as you don't mind a scratch here or there on teh bumper, a full width or mid width will be fine for anything that you do. I have a full width on a unlimited, anything from Dirt roads to extreme rock, the bumper is not the limiting factor, nor does it get in the way.

Pick one you like, and enjoy.

Quick Reply: Full or Mid Front bumper advice