Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

A Full Coverage Skid Plate?

Old 09-02-2012, 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A Full Coverage Skid Plate?

Hey Guys,
So ive been looking around and havnt found a thread that concerns a belly skid plate. I want one plate that can cover all the essentials without breaking the bank. Does such a plate exist? If you have one could you give an opinon? Are skid plates even nessesary? I dont know if stock armor is good enough? Pretty much any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-02-2012, 03:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

You probably won't find one skid that covers everything. Off Road Evolution makes a good three piece system.

EVO: Bumper/Armor/Skids, EVO MFG Protek Skid Systems (2007-2011) AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Old 09-02-2012, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robar
You probably won't find one skid that covers everything. Off Road Evolution makes a good three piece system.

EVO: Bumper/Armor/Skids, EVO MFG Protek Skid Systems (2007-2011) AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
x2 On this I have a Manual and installed the Oil Pan and Trans skid. Very solid and easy to install. I haven't tried them out yet..haha but I'm sure they will perform as designed. From what I've read the stock skids are really all you need elsewhere. Someone will probably chime in and correct me if I'm incorrect.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I really used my Rock Hard skid plates on my stock height 2008 Rubicon on some boulder filled trails in Arizona and they held up really well. Numerous times I had the full weight of my 4400 pound 2dr jeep on the skid plates and they held up.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1346630852

Here is a link to my most recent photos from under my 2008 Rubicon just prior to trading it for the 2012 Rubicon showing ALL my trail damage underneath the Jeep.

Rock Hard Skid Plates pictures by azsandrider - Photobucket

I took off the Rock Hard skid plates and put the nice new looking stock skid plate back on when I traded it. I'll be putting Rock Hard skid plates on my 2012 after its lifted.

Last edited by azsandrider; 09-02-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:06 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you for the great advice and photos. That is quite a lot of damage that was taken by the plates. Im leaning more towards the rock hard because of price. but they look like they get the job done. Again thank you for such quick/informative responses. this forum is amazing.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

check out jcr offroad. I have their engine/tranny skid plate as well as their exhaust loop on my stock jkur. it covers everthing you need and does a great job. i'm in moab now and have scraped it more than I would like, dented the gas tank skid a ton, lca mounts, t-case skid, etc and it has been great. I like the evo stuff and have their sliders but they are not cheap...for skids these work great and are half the price. I also like that the load is being placed on the engine mounts (welded to the frame) and not the engine/tranny iteself. You won't go wrong with these.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:36 AM
JK Newbie

Unless one of the jcp plates included the oil pan and i missed it, i only saw individual plates. Would it be better in this case to purchase these seperate? I ride in arkansas and some trails get rock, so this is a percaution i honestly dont know how much ive hit bottom before.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you fully skid the Jeep, then you don't have to worry every time you hear a rock hit, scrape, or when you high center. The peace of mind that you are fully protected is worth the cost. Not to mention if you didn't have full coverage skids and broke something. That costs $$$ !!!

Besides the entire Rock Hard skid plate system; I had the AEV Nth Degree rear diff skid, EVO Rock Stars rear lower control arm skid/mounts, Rancho front bolt on lower control arm skids, and a Rancho front diff skid ( I had it powdercoated black after I got it - the red didn't match the Jeep)

An interesting side note, I had the Rock Hard Evap Canister skid plate to protect that plastic box and have NEVER touched it! You can see from my photos that I used the skid plates A LOt but not a scratch on the canister skid plate. With that said, I would still get a canister skid for peace of mind. After all, it is possible to slide of a slick rock and bang the canister on a protruding boulder.

I'm putting my old skid plates on my 2012 after I paint the scratches. I had to by a new Rock Hard engine skid as the oil drain hole is in a different location for the 3.6 engine on the 2012 Jeep.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

I think im going to have to buy piece by piece. I ordered the oil pan plate first cause i found its the least thing that is protected by stock plates. Well its not protected. I just cant afford the whole package right now but i like the evo stuff. So if i have to save i think ill just save a little extra and go for those. Thanks for the help
Old 09-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kessler
I think im going to have to buy piece by piece. I ordered the oil pan plate first cause i found its the least thing that is protected by stock plates. Well its not protected. I just cant afford the whole package right now but i like the evo stuff. So if i have to save i think ill just save a little extra and go for those. Thanks for the help
Let me know if you have any questions,

we go by the less is more approach. The factory skids will take a damn good beating, EVO1 and Moby still run factory skids. We cover the areas where the factory did not cover. The most important parts of the drivetrain. Engine oil pan and transmission.

Quick Reply: A Full Coverage Skid Plate?