Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fuel tank skid recommendation?

Old 04-26-2013, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel tank skid recommendation?

Can anyone recommend a good fuel tank skid? My stock one is pretty abused and almost touching my fuel tank. I prefer a whole new unit as I'm afraid a bolt-over may not fit due to existing damage.
Thanks!
Old 04-26-2013, 03:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

River raider makes good skids check them out.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:27 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

don't bother, the factory one is pretty tough. You might have to remove it once in a while and beat the dents out of it. You will typically lose a bit of ground clearance and the gas skid is heavy. I ran the river raider and took it off after 2 weeks. its a pos along with their transmission skid that cant take a hit. The oil pan and transmission on the other hand are pretty nice.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't totally agree with dirtman . I bent my original skid so bad that it was pushing on my tank , probably lost some space for gas . I bought a skid and it lays right against the old skid . The last thing I want to do is to unbolt my skid and beat it back into place every couple of trips out .And I do think the stock skid is junk . Probably what would happen after beating it back into shape , the bolt holes wouldn't line up , doesn't sound like fun to me .The skid I b ought is 3/16 and is awesome . I can't remember the manufacture of it , sorry , it's been about 4 years . I do know it came from 4 wheel parts . My engine and tranny skid is from Skid Row . Good luck and let us know what you decide to do .
Old 04-26-2013, 05:58 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Its no fun beating out the dents or removing it from the jeep but it is made from some kind of tough alloy and will go back into shape and the bolt holes don't move since they are way up on top of the skid.

Same with aftermarket skids, no fun beating them back into shape either. I moved my tank and now don't worry about it anymore.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I figured the stock one would be fatigued once I bent it back... I see rock hard has a skid I may research.
Dirtman, where did you relocate your tank to?

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 04-26-2013, 09:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Rock Hard. 1/4" steel plate. You may scrape it but you won't dent it!
Old 04-27-2013, 03:39 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Centered it in front of the axle. A bit too custom for most people.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0825.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	451601

Quick Reply: Fuel tank skid recommendation?