Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fuel Mapping for Exhaust?

Old 08-22-2013, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Mapping for Exhaust?

I'm going to be installing a Magnaflow Rock Crawler exhaust on my '14 Rubicon. I have a lot of experience installing aftermarket exhaust systems on motorcycles. I've put a pipe on every bike I've ever owned, even my Honda Ruckus, but I've never installed an exhaust on a car or truck before. I know that when putting an exhaust on a bike you need to either re-jet, or on fuel injected bikes re-map, the fuel/air mixture to compensate for the increased airflow that comes with an aftermarket exhaust system.

My question is whether this also needs to be done when installing an exhaust on the jeep. I've seen the programmers like the AEV ProCal, however it seems that all this is used for is recalibrating for altered gear ratios, tire sizes, ect. I haven't seen or heard of any products like I've used on the bikes such as the Dynojet Power Commander where you would install it in the jeep and download fuel maps designed for your engine, exhaust, air intake combination. Wouldn't adding an aftermarket exhaust and air intake on a stock Jeep cause it to run lean and wouldn't this harm the engine?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:48 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Switching out the exhaust isnt going to make enough of a difference to need an updated fuel map.

If you were going to remove the cats and do headers, then a new tune would be beneficial but you wont have any issues with just a new exhaust.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe what some people do is unplug the battery overnight so the computer re-sets and re-learns

Quick Reply: Fuel Mapping for Exhaust?