Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fuel Doors

Old 07-28-2010, 09:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Doors

On my trip up to Lake Tahoe I spent the night in Ridgecrest CA at the Motel 6. The next morning my buddy I was traveling with discovered his Jerry can had been stolen off the back of his JK during the night. Another friend had his TJ soft-top broken into and cookies, coins in the cup holder, and OJ from the cooler were taken. Probably kids. I was parked in the front by the office and in full view of the street so I was not touched. This got me thinking of putting a lock cap on the filler or a locking fuel door.

Some of the choices out there only screw the cover into the plastic with 4 screws. Doesn't seem too secure. There are other choices but I don't know anything about them.

Several companies make fuel doors for the JK. What pro's can con's can you tell me about the one you put on your rig? Or why did you avoid a different one then you put on?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Scramblin_Jim; 07-28-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one with 4 screws is what I have, wife bought it for me, so no complaints! Except I can get into it with a screwdriver in about 3 seconds lol. Screws go through the plastic and the body, fyi
Old 07-28-2010, 09:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the cheap mopar locking cap. It works fine. I have heard a lot of negatives about it being too cheap. It also requires another key.

Mopar also has a nicer one that keys to your ignition key. That is probably the way to go. The less keys the better.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by remark
... Mopar also has a nicer one that keys to your ignition key. That is probably the way to go. The less keys the better.
I have this one. Ordered it with my Jeep. It is, indeed, nice. Added Mopar fuel door on top to keep muck out of the area when mudding, but there are now cheaper alternatives.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Real Wheels black one. I first ordered a much cheaper one, but the hinge broke before I even installed it. It was cast out of cheap "pot metal" and the hinge pins were cast as part of the door. The Real Wheels one is expensive, but well worth the money in this case. The hinge is a solid metal dowel and the lock is high quality. Mounting is with double stick tape and two screws on fold-in brackets to the fuel fill "tub". It's a lot sturdier than it sounds, you can shake the entire rig with the fuel door.

AMI has since released one. The unit itself should be as good, but I like the mounting of the Real Wheels better. You can see the mounting of the RW if you look at the install PDF at Quadratec.

Quick Reply: Fuel Doors