Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fuel cell relocation?

Old 10-20-2011, 05:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel cell relocation?

Has anyone did the GenRight JK 20gal fuel cell relocation?
Looks like it fits in the rear like a TJ and clears out the underbelly for better clearance when wheeling and provides better options for doing a custom 4 link rear set up.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:04 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

try getting a hold of kenb1010. i believe he's done this
Old 10-20-2011, 08:12 AM
JK Freak

i think teraflex did a two door with a four link.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi jctnt1,

I have the GenRight tank set up as an Aux along with my factory tank. Your planned setup is somewhat different than mine, but the following things come to mind that you should look into.

1. The GenRight tank will push your weight balance farther to the rear. With your 4dr it should be less noticeable than it was with my 2dr. If you have a heavy rear bumper/ tire carrier that will further effect weight at the rear. Also misc items like a high lift or fuel cans have an effect as well.

2. I see your running a currie iron jock 60. I looked at the curries when I went to D60's on mine. From my research I found that the size of the currie my prevent you from being able to use the GenRight tank. The clearance between the tank and diff would be very close. With your planned triangulated 4 link you won't need a track bar so you may have just enough room. You'll need to measure this closely as it will be very tight.

I hope that this setup works well for you. I've been wanting to see someone do this for a long time. I looked at this setup, but decided on the aux tank route to get the longer range that I wanted.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:06 PM
JK Freak

thanks for this info. Not too sure if I like the idea of possible balance issues when rock crawling.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see it as a deal breaker. The tank itself when full of fuel is about 180lbs. If you add in a heavy bumper, hi-lift, fuel cans, etc. you could be looking in the range of 500lbs.

I adjusted my weight balance forward by replacing my heavy LOD bumper/ tire carrier with an aluminum setup. I relocated my hi-lift and water cans to behind my front seats. This made a huge difference in my weight balance. You could easily do something similar. Don't forget, your 4dr climbs much better than my 2dr does. Your less effected by weight than I am due to your longer wheel base.

Quick Reply: Fuel cell relocation?