Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

? for FT Long arm owners

Old 05-08-2009, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? for FT Long arm owners

i'm going to be installiing my full traction long arm hopefully within the next 2 weeks. can anyone that has one tell me where the gas tank skid needs to be trimmed? is it where it meets the new crossmember or at the rear arm mount? any info or tips in installing this lift would be great! thanks in advance.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by bk030
i'm going to be installiing my full traction long arm hopefully within the next 2 weeks. can anyone that has one tell me where the gas tank skid needs to be trimmed? is it where it meets the new crossmember or at the rear arm mount? any info or tips in installing this lift would be great! thanks in advance.
its the front of the skid against the new cross member, its only about an Inch if I remember right..

Send eDivebuddy a PM, or maybe he'll chim in.. He's currently installing one and took tons pictures along the way.

I waited until I had the tank back in place and cut it off. it takes about 20 seconds with the cut off wheel.

Tips, get some good drill bits, and a pack of good cutoff wheels. If you need anything send me a PM. I helped Edive along the way.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

thanks Piginajeep... i looked over your gallery with the pics you took during your install. i think it is just going to be a little time consuming, but will be well worth the end result. thanks again.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

thanks Piginajeep... i looked over your gallery with the pics you took during your install. i think it is just going to be a little time consuming, but will be well worth the end result. thanks again.
I wont lie, its takes alot of time!

But worth it in the end. i sent Edivebuddy a PM, I'm sure he'll chim in with some pointers. I'll take a measurement of the skid in the morning. I'm not sure how close you are to NY,NY, but RDY4RKS on here has the FT long arm, if you want to look at his rig.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:10 PM
JK Super Freak

When you look at it it will be obvious. It's about 2 inches I think. You just need it to fit the cross member without cutting out the two holes. I'll take pictures of it when I put the gas tank back on. I may have pictures of the piece I cut off. I did break one of the conectors on the gas tank. It's the white one. I thought it was a c-clip so I pulled the retainer out. When I heard it crack I knew it wasn't a c-clip. I still don't know how to unclip it though. Looks like you need a tool to open it.

There's more not in the instructions. You need to trim the cross member brackets to clear the welds. You also need to trim the body mounts to clear the welds for the rear control arm brackets. I have pictures I'll post later of these.

Make sure you have all the hardware and the new instructions. They don't tell you where every bolt goes but they are grouped in the instructions.

You'll also want to protect the brake lines on the drivers side when you cut the control arms off. I zip tied a piece of aluminum strapping to it just in case.

Get a tie rod end separator. If you can find one. Don't use a pickle fork if your jeep has seen a winter, you'll just have to replace your boot and it can take for ever to get off. I could not find one so I took the tie rod off and used a pitman arm puller. I put a chisel on it so as not to strip out the hex hole.

And while you have the transfer case skid off might as well change the fluid there too.

I work six days a week, but I will answer any questions you have if I can.

It's a lot of work and my arms are tired, but I'd do the work again.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:30 PM
JK Jedi Master

the connectors on the tank, just push them in with your fingers, they actually are easy once you figure them out...

I didnt cut have to trim the cross member brackets, I just beat the bastard on with a mallet
Old 05-08-2009, 09:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
Tips, get some good drill bits,
I broke two step bits and killed three 1/2 inch bit's. I did have to drill out my front sway bar though as I put my Currie adjustable sway bar links back in.

and a pack of good cutoff wheels.
That's where all the work in this kit is. It took me 5 hours a side for the front. Don't even bother with getting any grinding wheels, just cutoff wheels it will go faster.

If you need anything send me a PM. I helped Edive along the way.
He sure did! I got stuck a lot of times, I didn't want to start a step without knowing what the whole process was, and the instructions skip a lot of things.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:40 PM
JK Newbie

i didn't mean to post and run guys... thanks for all of the helpful info. it will definitely help me out when the time comes! i will be doing this install with just a jack and jack stands... lol no lift for me unfortunately! it will be a bit more time consuming, but i'll be fine! i won't be using a pickle fork for the drag link... never liked using them... they always pretty much destroy the grease boot! thanks again for the advice, and wish me luck!
Old 05-22-2009, 03:27 PM
JK Newbie

i hate to bring this thread up from the dead again, but i started my install today. everything was going pretty smooth until the grinding began on the control arm brackets. what did everyone else use to cut these things off??? it takes foreeeevvvvvvver!!! i don't know... i got the front crossmember to go in without any issues, it just seems like cutting away the control arm brackets is a huge stalling point... i don't know how many times i said i wish i had a plasma cutter today!!!! oh well its only time... the end result will be worth it! so... to anyone who did this intstall themselves, what did you use to cut these damn things off??? any info or tips would be great!!! thanks again!
Old 05-22-2009, 04:15 PM
JK Super Freak

i hate to bring this thread up from the dead again, but i started my install today. everything was going pretty smooth until the grinding began on the control arm brackets. what did everyone else use to cut these things off??? it takes foreeeevvvvvvver!!! i don't know... i got the front crossmember to go in without any issues, it just seems like cutting away the control arm brackets is a huge stalling point... i don't know how many times i said i wish i had a plasma cutter today!!!! oh well its only time... the end result will be worth it! so... to anyone who did this intstall themselves, what did you use to cut these damn things off??? any info or tips would be great!!! thanks again!
Use cut off wheels and cut as close to the weld as you can. The grind the welds off with the cut off wheels. I used a permanent silver marker an marked next to the welds to keep from grinding too far into the frame. I tried not to grind all the silver off. Still took forever.

Protect the brake lines on the drivers side upper control arm and the wire loom on the passengers side upper.

You can find some stuff that was not in my instructions here

http://my.project-jk.com/showgallery.php?cat=1843

Good luck, it's well worth the effort!

Quick Reply: ? for FT Long arm owners