Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ft 3" vs. 4"

Old 11-25-2009, 08:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ft 3" vs. 4"

Looking at the Full Traction kits right now...

I see that the 3 and 4 inch, neither require driveshaft mods, which I am trying to avoid, at least for now.

I will be running 35's and it's going to be on a 2 door.
I want there to be a good bit of clearance, I'm just afraid the 3" kit might be a little to close to the tire for my taste...

if anyone has any pics, please, feel free to post em.

I also noticed the 4" kit is not available in the "ultimate" just the premium for the 2 door models. So the 3" kit will prob. be the ultimate and the 4" kit would prob. just be the premium. and then with either kit, I would order the pair of shocks offered with it.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:18 PM
JK Freak

I have the 3" kit with 37's, I couldnt imagine running the 4" kit with 35's. Now I did have to modify a few things to clear the 37's but just saying the 4" would be extremely tall.
Go with the 3" kit and enjoy.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Check out Piginajeep. he's run 35s and 37s on the 3". 3" is plenty of room for 35s, need flat fenders and/or trimming to run 37s. The 3" isn't all that "close" to the tires. Nonetheless, I run a 4" lift.

Driveshaft issues may come with either lift. I know it says no driveshafts needed or whatever, but if you plan on wheeling it, it will more than likely be an issue. That being said, I wheel mine pretty good and haven't had a ds go on me yet, but I do run adjustable control arms which helps me to get the pinion angle I need.
Use the search function. 3" is a real popular lift size to run 35s
Old 11-26-2009, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

anyone have any pics of a 2 door with the 3" w/ 35's ?
Old 11-26-2009, 09:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joneszj
Check out Piginajeep. he's run 35s and 37s on the 3". 3" is plenty of room for 35s, need flat fenders and/or trimming to run 37s. The 3" isn't all that "close" to the tires. Nonetheless, I run a 4" lift.

Driveshaft issues may come with either lift. I know it says no driveshafts needed or whatever, but if you plan on wheeling it, it will more than likely be an issue. That being said, I wheel mine pretty good and haven't had a ds go on me yet, but I do run adjustable control arms which helps me to get the pinion angle I need.
Use the search function. 3" is a real popular lift size to run 35s
Piginajeep will tell you that you'll definitely need to upgrade your driveshafts if you want to go with the 4", and most likely eventually you'll need to do it on the 3" too.

I think FT says its not required, because it's not - but it's a good idea if you want to ensure you're not going to break down eventually, because you will.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:47 AM
JK Freak

Okay, I've personally had both the 3" and the 4" premium lifts on my unl. Rubi. both kits ride the same. I found that the 3" kit does rub in th rear. The 4" kit, so far has been rub free. I have had ZERO issues runnin my stock drive shafts, however the front end drop is limited by the driveshaft hitting the skid.(this is for both kits). My personal opinion, DO NOT BUY FT. Their bushing issues have not been worked out, and I am on my fourth set of bushings. I really hate to say that because I was FT fan, but after seeing the thought that TERAFLEX has put into their kits, I regret not getting TF. You can get way more bang for your buck from TF. 35's will be fine on the 3" lift, on a 2 door. If you plan on 37's then go with the 4".
Old 11-26-2009, 12:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Augie
Okay, I've personally had both the 3" and the 4" premium lifts on my unl. Rubi. both kits ride the same. I found that the 3" kit does rub in th rear. The 4" kit, so far has been rub free. I have had ZERO issues runnin my stock drive shafts, however the front end drop is limited by the driveshaft hitting the skid.(this is for both kits). My personal opinion, DO NOT BUY FT. Their bushing issues have not been worked out, and I am on my fourth set of bushings. I really hate to say that because I was FT fan, but after seeing the thought that TERAFLEX has put into their kits, I regret not getting TF. You can get way more bang for your buck from TF. 35's will be fine on the 3" lift, on a 2 door. If you plan on 37's then go with the 4".
Have you talked with Steve at Full Traction? They are commited to resolving the bushing issues of the past.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:15 PM
JK Jedi Master

I find it odd, I ran the shortarm kit for over a year and never had bushing issues, my long arms been on a year now, and still no issues

anyhow. If you go with any 3" kit, no matter what brand. You will need atleast a new rear driveshaft. Not right away. But plan on it as a future buy.

I'll posts pictures soon

3" and 35's.

Last edited by Piginajeep; 11-26-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by thisisaustin9221
Looking at the Full Traction kits right now...

I see that the 3 and 4 inch, neither require driveshaft mods, which I am trying to avoid, at least for now.

I will be running 35's and it's going to be on a 2 door.
I want there to be a good bit of clearance, I'm just afraid the 3" kit might be a little to close to the tire for my taste...

if anyone has any pics, please, feel free to post em.

I also noticed the 4" kit is not available in the "ultimate" just the premium for the 2 door models. So the 3" kit will prob. be the ultimate and the 4" kit would prob. just be the premium. and then with either kit, I would order the pair of shocks offered with it.
i'm not sure where you found the info on the kits, but you can buy the ultimate for the two door in either the 3" or the 4". the only difference is shocks, coils, bump stops and track bar brackets between the two.

I'd stay at 3" IMO, 4" lift with 35's just looks silly on the 2 door. Yes you do rub slightly but its not a big deal.

I'm currently running 37's on the 3" kit, just with longer bump stops and flat fenders. It doesnt rub at all now.

Last edited by Piginajeep; 11-26-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by stangjeeper
Have you talked with Steve at Full Traction? They are commited to resolving the bushing issues of the past.
Please elaborate.

Replacing, they have, resolving is something I haven't heard of yet.

Quick Reply: Ft 3" vs. 4"