Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Frustrated with Bestop Trektop

Old 04-19-2012, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by msax
One thing I noticed during my install that might help others is that the safari brackets that attach to the door surrounds slides about 1/2inch. I couldn't get my header to latch until I secured the two brackets fully forward with double sided tape. Before the tape the bracket would always slide back when closing the top. Will prob epoxy in this position next time I take the top fully off. This will solve that gap u notice at the front header. Still very tight fit.
Yeah this helps. I just put mine on yesterday evening around 7pm and got it about 3/4 of the way on but the temp dropped too quickly. There's just no getting around needing the temp to be 80+ for this to go smoothly. I have it in my parking lot at work warming up for me to finish it off at lunch. I expected nothing less than for this to give me a hard time going on, being that it's brand new.

On the other side, if you can decipher the directions and their kooky order of things it's a fairly easy install, especially if you are experienced with putting a soft top on. Everything is made from quality materials and the snug fit is a must for the top to last the seasons. I'm really happy with the over all product. You know it's going to hold up and the look and the convenience of the top beats all other soft tops out there.

Just take your time and let it sit in the sun while you put your hardware on and you'll be fine. I know my 2 door is probably a different animal than the 4 door but patience should get you thru.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I used a Heat Gun all around for about 1 hour on my old TJ half-cab. It worked but still tough

bigC
Old 04-19-2012, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's 71 degrees and the sun is shinning and I got all of the zippers and lips buttoned up. All I have now is the front header latches. I'm going to let it cook a little longer and try it later this afternoon. They will almost go but I don't want to break anything so I'll wait a bit. It's only supposed to get to 78 today so hopefully with it being in direct sunlight this will be enough to fully button the top up.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is AMAZING how much the material will stretch when it's warm. We won't schedule, or try to install a soft top in the shop if it's anything other than warm and sunny. Heat gun is a good idea, I've never tried that one.
If it's a bit too cool to get it completely attached, close up all the doors, get as much of the top and windows on as you can, and turn on the heater full hot/high speed and just let it sit for a while. Obviously, you don't want to do this in The 'Hood. It's pretty safe in our back parking lot outside the shop though.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Agreed. I got lucky and it hit 81 degrees today and I was able to get the tailgate bar in and the header latched. It's all together and looks great IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-439186994.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	306577  
Old 04-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good on the SWB! Also, I think the trektop looks much better on the 4drs than the standard top does. We've had one on the '08 for some time.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Trektop NX Broke!

I ordered one about a month ago and the install went fine until I flipped the safari top over and down to latch it. The cable that keeps the top in the rain gutter on the door surround broke on the passenger side. Sent it back to quadratec for a credit then they all went on backorder. Found one today at Northridge4x4. Should have it late next week. Just hope for a hot sunny day when it comes.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my trektop NX on for a couple weeks and like it a lot. It's a real PITA to install.

Two questions for you guys. I get water puddling above the rear seat area of my top. Doesn't leak but there's a good bit of water until I drive away. I also wondered how people were securing the two little straps into the sound bar? Mine just not very tight, like there's not enough to the straps to pull tight. It has been a problem but would think they should be tight and secure. I'd appreciate any feedback. Love the top so far though.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way bestop and everyone else secures those clips to the soundbar is crap. The straps are always just barely too long resulting in flapping. Drill two 1/4" holes in the soundbar plastic behind the holes they tell you to clip into. Problem solved. No more flapping or loose straps. Crappy phone pic, but you should get the idea.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120419_185547.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	306681
Old 04-19-2012, 03:24 PM
JK Freak

you can always crank your heater on full blast to help heat up the top from the inside
to help loosen it up before you try to latch it.

Quick Reply: Frustrated with Bestop Trektop