Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Frustrated with Bestop Trektop

Old 04-15-2012, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustrated with Bestop Trektop

I was extremely excited to receive my Trektop NX last week from Bestop. The weather yesterday was around 70* so i figured the perfect time to install.

Well, it didnt go so well. How did you people get this thing on? My father and I both have cut up and bruised hands after spending 4 hours trying to get it to work. When all was said and done, the front clips were about 1.5" away from reaching the latch. There was a 3 inch gap between one side of the rear window and the zipper on the quarter window. Nevermind nearly breaking the zippers on the quarter windows trying to get them on. Even when I actually got them on, it looked like crap.

Extremely frustrated with this product. First bad experience I've had ordering parts for my wrangler. Heres some pics that might show what I'm talking about.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

seems like its just too small, id be mad too. its a shame as i really liked the look of this top but after seeing this idk if i wanna cough up the money for this
Old 04-15-2012, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

I feel your pain. Took me a couple of days to get mine to fit. 1st day I tried installing was only 70 degrees, like your experience couldn't get front to latch. I did not try to install rear windows. I removed rear bar from brackets, then locked in front header, then used zip ties to hold rear bar to brackets. Again rear windows were not installed.

next day was 80 degrees. After sitting in sun for a while, I was able to put on rear quarter panels. Then let that stretch and settle in for a day.

3rd day in 80's. I released front header, cut zip ties off rear bar, zipped rear window to rear quarter panels, then re-latched front header. All of this done during heat of day in full sun.

I tried securing rear window w tailgate bar supplied w kit, but finally gave up. Instead I used the bar from OEM softtop. Still a very tight fit..probably needed another hot day to stretch, but I needed it secure for going out to dinner w friends.

today is another warm day, so hope to finally get everything fully stretched and fully zipped into place.. Going to dinner last night I did have some wind noise from front header as top is not yet fully stretched into place.

will post pics later.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cosmec
I like your license plate
Old 04-15-2012, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

After 3 days of 80+ degrees stretching, almost there...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2528.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	304524Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2529.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	304525Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2530.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	304526Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2531.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	304527Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2532.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	304528
Old 04-15-2012, 09:04 AM
JK Newbie

I've had my top since last summer and really like it. It was extremely hard to get on the first time but since then I've learned how to do it. Here is how I do it:
1. Put on the safari part of it and latch it at the wind shield.
2. Connect the straps at the back of the top to the roll bar.
3. Start the zipper only a few inches on a side window. Only go a few inches and do not put it in the channel at the door or on the tub.
4. Do the same for the other side.
5. The back window can now easily be zipped into the side windows since there is plenty of slack in them. When doing this can only be zippered a little bit and can't be in any channels.
6. Zip the back window half way down on each side
7. Put the side windows into the channel on the door surround and then zip the window the entire way.
8. Put the side windows into the channels on the tub.
9. Finish zipping the back window.

After the top is on like this it seems to loosen up a little bit. I was able to put the windows in like this last week on a cloudy 60 degree day with no problems but if I don't do it like this I can't get the back window in.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:08 AM
JK Freak

To get the header to latch the first time u can loosen the windshield brackets and u should be able to get them to reach, after u get them to reach tighten the brackets back down then close the latch, after it sits in the sun all latched up it'll stretch a lot and makes it a ton easier
Old 04-15-2012, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Atch
To get the header to latch the first time u can loosen the windshield brackets and u should be able to get them to reach, after u get them to reach tighten the brackets back down then close the latch, after it sits in the sun all latched up it'll stretch a lot and makes it a ton easier
I doubt this will work for me. The latch was over an inch away from the bracket.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll try again next weekend before giving up for good.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:35 AM
JK Freak

I know just getting my wife soft top on for the first time last summer was a PITA!
it took days for the soft top to stretch out enough to fit.
like you I couldn't get the top to get to the latches by the windshield

to this day I have to put the header latches on but not latch them and them pull the rear flaps
by the rear window on, then go back and close the latches by the windshield.
I suggest you try this.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:41 AM
JK Freak

I doubt this will work for me. The latch was over an inch away from the bracket.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll try again next weekend before giving up for good.
U did notice that the latches move separately right? You want to pull the small one closer to the windshield with the cover latch still back away from the windshield, u can get much closer.the way your pic is you will never reach it

Quick Reply: Frustrated with Bestop Trektop